16

I'm sorry you guys, but I have to change the update schedule. I've been really busy and my state tests are next week so I have to study like CRAZY. I'm sure that in the future I'll be able to go back to daily updates. In return though, I'll make the chapters longer, okay? 

Wednesday and Friday at 5PM EST. 

____

If she loved him, she would be free.

That's all there was to it.

But.. she did, didn't she? The voice told her she did. The voice said she was already in love.

So why wasn't she free?

She was trapped.

//

"Marinette? Are you in here?"

"Come in, kitty. I have croissants for you." 

He jumped down from her bed and practically leapt at her. He snatched the baked goods up so quickly she wondered if he truly had the reflexes of a cat. 

"How are you this lovely evening, princess?"

"Just working on some designs."

He grinned through a mouthful of bread. "May I see them?"

She laughed, shaking her head. "You know the answer to that."

"Please?"

"No! They're a secret until they're completed. Don't even bother." 

His ears flattened against his head as he sat down on the floor next to her desk chair. He looked away dejectedly. "But I'm special."

She sighed and twisted her chair so she was facing him. She ran a finger through his messy blonde hair, and then -

"Marinette!"

She scratched just behind the cat ears and he melted, collapsing and stretching over the ground. She giggled and got onto her knees so she could reach him better. "Feeling better?"

"S-stop-"

She scratched the black cat until he was purring and blushing so furiously she was was sure he'd had enough.

"Why," he panted. "Why do you have to do that all the time?"

"It feels good, doesn't it?"

"Yes - but - that's not the point."

She sat back on her heels. "Then what's the problem, kitty?"

He sat up, shaking off an invisible hand. "The problem is that it's embarrassing. Stop doing that."

"No." 

"What?"

"You just don't like it because you can't control yourself, right? It's your fatal weakness." She smiled softly at him. "Chat Noir, you can be weak with me." 

//

Marinette was out in Paris late at night, just finishing delivering a pie for a sickly customer, when she was spotted by Chat Noir.

He startled her when he jumped down from the roofs, appearing in front of her so suddenly. "Chat! Stop doing that."

He came close to her. "Doing what, Princess? I could have sworn you said you would be at home tonight, but when I came to visit you, you weren't there. Instead, you were out here alone, in the dark."