34

Having amnesia was the worst thing that had ever happened to Marinette. It stole her life away and made her into a new person.

   It had changed her. 

   But... it never stopped her from loving Chat Noir.

   And today was the first of three days in which Chat would speak to her as himself.

   In three days, if not sooner, she would learn his identity and see him as himself, without the mask. She was scared, she supposed. But excited at the same time. They could be together freely and without fear.

   Because Chat Noir would no longer love Marinette. He would love Ladybug, and Ladybug would love him.

   And whoever his civilian self was... he would love Marinette just as much as Chat did. More. Marinette would no longer love Chat Noir, she would love a regular civilian and not glance at the super hero ever again.

   She would never be a danger to him. He would never be a danger to her. They would never endanger each other.

   Marinette stepped out of the bakery with a smile on her face. She felt free, because in three days, everything would be right again.

   Everything would be right.

   They would both be happy.

   Marinette called goodbye to her parents, sidestepping a customer of the morning rush. She faced the sun and felt its rays warm her face. There were few clouds in the sky, and Marinette knew that it wouldn't rain this week based off the weather lately. 

   She turned her face towards the school, saw the street in which she had lost so much, and started forward.

DAY 1

   Marinette walked into her classroom on time. She was rarely on time, of course, but she had awoken that morning with a smile on her face, excitement rousing her from sleep.

   "Good morning, Alya," said Marinette as she sat down next to her friend, waving to Nino.

   "Hey girl, what's got you in such a good mood?" Alya gave her a sideways glance. She was working on homework from the day before. Usually Alya had an excellent work ethic, but today she seemed to be in a rush to finish it before the teacher came. Marinette assumed that she had been working on her blog all night. Alya was dedicated, for sure. 

   Marinette said "Nothing," wishing more than anything that she could tell her best friend all that has happened. She wanted to spill her secrets, tell Alya that the superhero she was obsessed with? It was Marinette. Ladybug was sitting right next to her. 

   Marinette's head swiveled as Adrien Agreste entered the classroom. Of course, Marinette still thought him attractive, but he was no longer the highlight of her day. She thought that maybe it was habit that made her head turn when he showed up. She had spent years using every spare moment to think of him. It didn't go away immediately.

   His eyes lifted from his bag to her face, and their gazes met. 

   And he smiled so brightly Marinette thought that his missing mother had to be standing behind her, back from where he had vanished to. He looked so happy, happy in the way that one did when they just achieved a dream of theirs. Marinette couldn't help it when she looked behind her, wondering if it was something else he was looking at like that, but no, only other students talking. She blinked as she realized that he was, in fact, smiling so wonderfully at her. Her lips lifted in return, and it was a genuine smile to her friend, but it certainly wasn't as strong as the one Adrien was giving her. It confused Marinette. What about her made him so happy?