The Comeback Prince

The three appeared in the living room of the Malfoy manor, Narcissa dusting herself off and strutting into another room, calling over her shoulder, "Lovely to have you, darling. Draco will make sure you feel right at home."

Narcissa walked into her study, her eyes twinkling in a way they haven't since before the war started. She knew exactly what she was doing. Her son could be a cruel boy when he wanted to be, but she knew she raised her son right, when Lucius wasn't looking at least.

Narcissa was never one to care about blood, all she wanted was her family to be safe and most importantly, she wanted her son to be happy.

That's why Narcissa was going to shut herself away for as long as it takes the two to figure out how to get along... and if Narcissa really knew what she was doing... when they learned something else too.

Hermione frowned as she watched Narcissa walk away in a hurry around the corner, "What's wrong with her?"

Malfoy glanced up, following her eyes and shrugging, "I've stopped asking that question for fear one day I might get an answer."

Hermione couldn't help the smile that slid onto her face and turned away quickly so he wouldn't see it.

"Let's get your stuff into a guest room," Malfoy said, picking up one of her bags.

Hermione smirked as she picked up the two other bags, "My bags too heavy for you Malfoy or are you just an unmannered ferret?"

Malfoy stopped on the first step, looking over his shoulder, "Shut up, Granger." Then he continued his way up the steps.

Hermione laughed, "No wonder you're called the Slytherin Prince instead of the Comeback Prince."

He snorted, "That was terrible, Granger."

Hermione rolled her eyes, "Like you could come up with better."

"Bossy."

"Annoying."

Malfoy swung open a door once he reached the top of the steps and threw Hermione's bag he'd been carrying onto the bed. She glared at him and walked into the room behind him.

The room was white with a huge bed with silver sheets with green trimming.

She glared at his smug smile, "You didn't have any other guest room that- Gee, I don't know, didn't have Slytherin theme."

Malfoy smirked, "Beggars can't be choosers, Granger."

She narrowed her eyes, offended, "I never begged you, Draco Malfoy-"

He just waved her off, "Whatever you say, Granger. Now, If you'll excuse me, I have work to do."

He turned to leave when Hermione's confused voice made him freeze, "Wait, you work?"

He turned, his face pinched in annoyance, "Yes, Granger, I know how to work."

She shrugged her shoulders, "I figured you were one of those spoiled kids that never had to work a day in his life."

He gave her a look, "How do you think we got money, Granger? Some magical wizard didn't drop it off on our doorstep to take care of."

She squinted at him, "That was a reference to Harry, wasn't it?"

He shrugged, "Take it whatever way you'd like."

She sighed, "Do you have any books in this place? I'll be bored all day."

Malfoy frowned, "Don't you have a job at the ministry?"

She nodded, sighing, "Yes. But my boss owled me, telling me not to come in until the reporters thing is solved. He says 'My work won't be up to his standard' If i'm worrying about my life."

Malfoy shook his head, "Come on, Granger."

*—-*