Chapter Four:The Mortician's Daughter

A fan couldn't wait to read more about Lydia & Andy. So this chapter is for her :3

I sit here & smile dear,

I smile because I think of you & blush.

These bleeding hollow dials... This fuss.

A fuss is made of miles & travels when roadways are but stones & gravel.

A bleeding heart & conquer every crutch...

    The more I learned of Lydia, the more fascinated I became. She was like a new book. Each page contained something more extraordinary than the last. Though, I was more than surprised when she confessed she didn't believe in Angels, or anything Holy for that matter.  That was until she saw me, of course. She told me how her life was here on Earth & how she jumped around from orphanage to orphanage as a small child. When I asked about her parents, she was hesitant.

    " My Father worked as a mortician," She explained, "he used to bring me to the morgue & let me watch him work." She smiled, as if she was reliving that memory over again. "But that was before my Mother was murdered...& then he committed suicide." The light in her emerald eyes faded. The floodgates opened & soon, tears streamed down her cheeks.

"There, there..." I whispered, pulling her into my arms. "Everything is going to be alright."

------

    He wrapped his arms around me & cradled me as if I was a small child. The motion was so comforting & reassuring, I almost fell asleep in his arms. His chest ,beneath me, vibrated as he let out a quiet chuckle.

"So, those markings...how did you get them?" I asked, sleep heavily weighing my voice. Andy was quiet for a moment, as if he wasn't sure how to answer.

    "I was born with them. As a baby, it was obviously clear I was a Outcast. My parents couldn't bare to hand over their son to The Executors. So, instead, I was banished, to live amongst my 'kind' until I was old enough for death sentencing. When I was a small child, I longed to be with my Mother & Father, for I was the only child Outcast. Most people earned the markings over time when they're older, for every sin they've committed. I tried covering them up, but they would just burn through the makeup. But a few years ago, I met four other Outcasts: The Mystic, leader & protector of us all, The Deviant, The Mourner, & The Destroyer. We grew close, especially me & The Mourner.  It wasn't soon after we met, that we created The Army. They were fellow Outcasts that were to be executed. We are to protect them at any costs necessary"

    "If they were to all come looking for me, The Army wouldn't stand a chance & would be all killed while we're gone. That's why I hope The Mystic is out there, somewhere." He stared out the window as he talked, like he could see his fellow leader coming for him.

"It's just a matter of time before..." he trailed off, deep in thought.

"Before what?" I whispered, careful not to break his concentration. He shook his head, & smiled at me.

"It's nothing. Get some sleep, Love." His soft lips rested on my forehead for moment. But to me, it felt to be hours. A small yawn escaped from my mouth & he chuckled. Pulling me closer to his chest, my heart stopped for moment. But when he began to sing, the whole world stopped & it was just the two of us.

I open my lungs dear,

I sing this song at funerals... No rush.

These lyrics heard a thousand times, just plush.

A baby boy you've held so tightly, this pain it visits almost nightly.

Missing hotel beds I feel your touch.

I will wait dear,

A patient of eternity, my crush.

A universal still, No rust.

No dust will ever grow in this frame,

One million years I will say your name.

I love you more than I can ever scream....

    I closed my eyes & held on to his voice, never wanting to let go. Within seconds, I feel into a dreamless sleep.

------

    I watched her drift into a deep sleep. Careful not to disturb her, I slowly & gently eased myself from beneath her. After planting soft kisses on her forehead, I tiptoed into the bathroom to inspect my appearance. My jaw dropped & my eyes were as big as the moon. I looked....normal. My markings were gone & it gave me the appearance of a human being. I touched my face in disbelief.

"This can't be." I whispered, my eyes still wide. I must be dreaming, I thought to myself, You stupid fool, Andy. Those markings will never go away & we  both know that. You're only dreaming. None of this is real. She isn't real. I glanced at Lydia through the mirror.

"You're wrong. She's too perfect to be a dream."