Ch 1: The Brightest Time

"Be careful on your way, Nora," my husband told me as I pinned my very long, pale blonde hair up in a messy bun on top of my head. He got comfortable on the couch and turned the channel to the news.

"I'll be fine."

"I worry about you, that's all." He eyed my gigantic baby bump.

"I'm just pregnant," I assured him and smoothed out my yellow dress. I resituated my left pump so that it wasn't digging into the back of my foot. "I'll be back in a few hours."

"You and Penny still going to see that movie tonight?"

"Yeah. Maybe we'll get something to eat after. Want me to bring something home for you?"

"A hamburger and some fries would be great."

"You got it."

I grabbed my handbag, my coat, and my car keys before leaning over the couch to give him a kiss. He was positioned lazily on the couch, eyes fixated on the TV, and accepted a quick peck on the lips.

I left the house, took a deep breath of fresh air, and got into my Corvega. It was mid-September, and the air wasn't too chilly yet, but I still had to wear my coat to protect my sensitive skin. I threw my bag into the passenger seat and started the engine. The seatbelt was uncomfortable around my large stomach, but I made it work. I slowly backed out of the driveway; Ms. Rosa and her delightful son across the street were arguing over whether or not he should be riding his bike in the road.

Mr. and Mrs. Sumner were out cleaning their garden again. They waved at me as I passed. I smiled and waved back at them. They were a nice couple and great neighbors; they told me they were excited to meet the new baby and already had a welcome present picked out for him.

Careful not to bump anyone or anything on my way out, I moved the car at a slow crawl until I finally made it over the bridge at the river. Boston was bustling with people already. I stopped at a little cafe and met up with my friend, Penny Jenkins, whose husband was still away overseas.

I did my best to keep her company, seeing as how I was on maternity leave and my husband was away from home often as well. Being a military family proved to be difficult at times.

"What are you reading about?" I asked.

"Oh, my gosh. Dean Domino is performing at the Sierra Madre soon, and the event is supposed to be televised!" There was a sparkle of excitement in her brown eyes, and a grin spread across her face.

"Interesting. Cappuccino good?" I asked, already reaching for her drink to taste it for myself.

She lightly slapped my hand. "Hey, get your own! Besides, you know you shouldn't have any caffeine right now."

"Ugh, you sound like my husband." I waved a waitress to our table. She greeted us with a smile. She couldn't have been more than seventeen, with silky black hair pulled up in a bow, a perfectly white smile, and a youthful face that was decorated with a light layer of foundation and blush.

"What can I get for you today?"

"I'd like an iced coffee. Decaf, please."

She jotted down my order on her paper. "Will that be all, ma'am?"

"Oh, and a raspberry-filled donut."