Ch 5: Rebuilding

"That was a pretty amazing display," Preston praised.

He stood at the far wall past the broken stairs with Sturges. Mama Murphy sat on the bench there, and Marcy and Jun sat side by side on the floor. Preston looked more than pleased; he looked like he was even admiring me, as if I were some comic book hero.

"It didn't feel very amazing," I muttered, looking back on my fall from the roof, my messy tussle with the monster, and my vomiting on the pavement.

"What are you talking about? You were incredible! I'm just glad you're on our side."

"You guys going to be okay now?" I asked, thankful that the helmet covered my blushing face.

"Yeah. For a while, anyway. We can at least move someplace safer." He rested the butt of his rifle on the ground, holding the barrel end in one hand to shift his weight. "When we firsts met, you asked about the Minutemen. One thing you should know about us: we help out our friends. So here." He took something out of his pocket and handed it to me. "For everything you've done. It's not much, but take it."

It was a small sack with something rattling inside. I opened it to take a look. There were about forty to fifty... bottlecaps inside. I was a little confused. Preston acted like it was a big deal, so I kept them anyway. I supposed I was giving him a funny look, though.

"Sorry. I'm used to everyone being in it only for themselves. You know, you remind me of my friends. The other Minutemen, the ones who gave their lives for something bigger than themselves. You should come with us to Sanctuary. We could use the help."

"What would I need to do?" I shifted uncomfortably as I thought of Preston giving me another daunting task. I didn't think I could do something like that again. Such a terrifying experience still left my knees weak and my heart hammering against my chest.

"You'd need to stay strong," Mama Murphy chimed in. "Like you been. 'Cause there's more to your destiny. I've seen it. And I know your pain."

I squinted at her. "What do you mean?"

"You're a woman out of time. Out of hope. But all's not lost. I can feel... your son's energy. He's alive."

My heart skipped a beat. I took two hammering steps toward her in my clunky Power Armor. "H-How do you know about that? Where is my son? Where's Shaun?!"

"Oh, I wish I knew, kid. I really do. But it's not like I can see your son. I can just... feel his life force, his energy. He's out there."

"Bullshit!" I spat. "You know something!"

"Whoa, whoa, take it easy," said Preston.

Mama Murphy didn't even flinch. Though Preston rested his hand on the shoulder of my armor in an attempt to calm me, it didn't do any good. Not only could I not feel it, but I could run him over in this suit if I wanted.

Mama Murphy smiled. "I saw this, too," she stated calmly. "I have. He's out there. And even I don't need the Sight to tell you where you should start lookin'. The great, green jewel of the Commonwealth, Diamond City. The biggest settlement around."

It was becoming steadily clear that she wasn't my enemy, so I dropped the possibility of her being involved in my son's kidnapping for the time being, but it was extremely off-putting that she knew about my son in the first place. Her information was vague, however.

"Is there any more you can tell me? Please, Mama Murphy."

"Look, kid. I'm tired now. Maybe you bring me some chems later, the Sight will paint a clearer picture."

"No!" Preston went rigid. "Mama Murphy, we talked about this. That junk... It's gonna kill you..."

She just waved him off. "Oh, shush, Preston. We're all gonna die eventually. We're gonna need the Sight. And our new friend here, she's gonna need it, too. Now let's get goin'. Sanctuary awaits."