Ch 20: The New Underground Railroad

"Home sweet home," said Hancock with a stretch as we walked through the gate. "I'm gonna check on Fahrenheit. I'll meet you in the Rail?"

"Yeah, sure."

Hancock entered the State House. I walked around the building and down the steps to enter the bar. The bouncer, Ham, eyed me questioningly. I took my helmet off so he could see who I was, and he nodded me through.

"Any friend of Mayor Hancock... is a friend of the Third Rail," he said, monotone.

Magnolia was singing an upbeat jive and Charlie was shining glasses behind the bar. There were a few patrons scattered around, talking and drinking and nodding their heads to the song on the stage, but it wasn't too busy in here today.

I took off my armor next to the bar stool I planned to sit at.

Charlie gave me a stout greeting. "Gov."

"Hey, Charlie."

"You're becoming quite the regular in Goodneighbor."

I nodded but didn't answer. Instead, my attention wandered around the room. I heard glasses softly hitting the tabletops, the shuffling of cards, a few coughs here and there, and hushed voices. My ears zoned in on the voices that came from a table closest to the bar.

"You think it'll be Fahrenheit?" asked a Ghoul lady.

"Nah, I was thinkin' I might run for it," responded a middle-aged man.

I was confused by this small exchange. It almost sounded like they were discussing an election. If Hancock walked out of Goodneighbor as many times as he claimed, the citizens shouldn't have been worried about Hancock stepping down or not returning. Right?

"You buyin' or just keepin' the stool warm?"

I felt around in my pocket for loose caps. "Um, sure. What do you have on offer?"

"Well, the beer still tastes the same: like shit. We got top-shelf rum, Surkov, vodka, and triple-distilled whiskey."

"Lemme get a shot of whiskey to warm up."

"That'll be ten caps, Gov."

"What? Ten caps? The whole bottle's worth fifteen! At least, that's what it was last time I was here..."

"Well, let's just say supplies are short and demand is high. Now, you buyin' or wot?"

A hand came down on the bar, slamming caps onto its surface. "No need for that, Chuck. Lighten up," said Hancock with a threatening hint.

"Of course, Mayor 'ancock. My apologies. I didn't know she came with such important company today..."

"A friend of mine is a friend of the Rail, remember? Lay off."

Charlie sighed. "Drinks on the house, then." He poured two shots of whiskey and slid them to me and Hancock.

I shot the robot a mocking glare and drank my whiskey.

"Sorry about that." Hancock gathered up his caps. "Everyone's a bit on edge after me leavin'. They always get like that."

"Yeah? Well, they can lay off treating me like a wanted criminal."

"They blame you for taking me away from Goodneighbor. What they don't understand is I made the decision to leave and do some soul searchin'. 'Sides, you're a good sort. I'm glad I took up with ya." He threw back his shot. "Ready to head out?"

"Not yet. I'm worn out. Could go for a few more drinks. Maybe rest my feet."

He nodded. "Say no more." He motioned Charlie over to him. "Yo, Chuck. Gimme that bottle of whiskey."