Ch 19: The Best Course of Action

The CIT ruins were more than likely what remained of the Commonwealth Institute of Technology, a prestigious college for the scientifically inclined. From what I remembered, it was only a few miles out from the baseball stadium, so Diamond City would be our next stop.

My Power Armor beeped at two percent when we were halfway there. I was on my last power core.

We passed the walls of Diamond City. When Hancock realized we were circling around to the front gate, he stopped in his tracks.

"We goin' in there?" he asked.

"Yeah, is there a problem?"

"No Ghouls allowed in the city."

"Oh..."

"To tell you the truth, I wouldn't wanna set foot in there anyway."

"Well, would you watch my Power Armor for me?"

"Sure, sure. Take your time. I'll sit out here."

I got out of the armor and left it standing by the gate with Hancock. I went inside quickly and looked for Arturo's gun shop, hoping he wasn't closed for the night. Thankfully, I found him still standing behind the counter.

I bought another power core and what ammo I could afford without going entirely broke, then stopped by the noodle stand and got two bowls of ramen. We hadn't eaten in a while, and I was going to start feeling dizzy soon if I didn't.

Once I got outside the gates, noodles in hand, I saw Hancock being hustled by some of the city guards.

"No Ghouls allowed, freak," one said to him.

"Hey, I ain't in the city," he pointed out.

"Don't matter," said another guard. "Know what happens to Super Mutants and Ghouls outside the gates? They get fucked up. Bad."

Hancock narrowed his eyes. "You sayin' you're gonna fuck me up, tough guy? Go ahead and try. Everyone knows McDonough's city guards are some of the laziest and pampered, heh heh."

"So you're a funny guy, huh?" asked the first guard. "I say we take that funny hat of yours and shove it up your funny ass."

"Keep your hands off me, bub, or it's your ass you're gonna have to worry about," he growled.

"Hey, knock it off!" I yelled as I got close.

They turned their heads to me..

"We were just leaving," I insisted.

"Hey, you're that newcomer from the paper," said one of the guards. "The Woman Out of Time, right?"

"What of it?" I asked.

They looked back at Hancock. "Eh, I guess we'll let you off the hook this time, Ghoul."

"This time and every other time," I hissed. "Now out of our way." I nudged Hancock with my elbow and handed him his bowl of noodles. I took a seat on the sidewalk close to my armor and started slurping down the steaming hot food.

He took a seat next to me as the guards walked back down the alley. "I had it."

"I know you did." But I was still trembling with anger.

"Then why'd you have to go and interrupt like that?"

"They were getting way out of line."

"Didn't think you were the type to stick up for a Ghoul," he said.

I gave him a cold stare. "What's that supposed to mean? What type of person do you take me for?"

"You're prewar, not used to rad freaks like me."