Ch 22: Hurts Like Hell

I walked alone to my destination. I had gotten used to traveling by myself without my Power Armor. It was liberating, being able to trust myself and my abilities enough to travel without being anxiety-stricken.

I entered the gates of Goodneighbor for the first time in months, though it felt like longer. It was March now, and everything was the same as it had been in November. Daisy and Cleo were still running their shops in front of town, and the State House still stood sturdy as ever beside them.

I walked upstairs to Hancock's office, the butterflies in my stomach almost causing me to feel queasy. To my surprise, however, there was no one there. I asked one of the watchmen where Hancock was.

"Do I look like the mayor's babysitter? Him and his bodyguard are in the Third Rail. Now, scram."

Inside the Third Rail, the live band was playing a jive, but Magnolia wasn't performing. The Third Rail was packed with drifters and locals who were watching the game of Gin Rummy take place at a table in the middle of the bar.

Fahrenheit sat with her back facing the bar, Hancock sat facing the entrance, and MacCready had his back turned to me. The fourth chair was empty, but people were hovered all around the table, placing bets.

Fahrenheit teased the guys, claiming she was going to win this one.

MacCready protested with a whiny, "Nuh-uh, not if you keep breaking house rules. No runs, only sets."

"Which is fucking stupid," Fahrenheit complained.

"My house, my rules, heh heh," declared Hancock.

I slowly approached them; I didn't want to interrupt their game.

They played on for a little while, and I took a seat in one of the chairs at an empty table. I found it odd and kind of funny that I used to feel more at ease when I was home in Sanctuary because now I only felt that way in Goodneighbor. Or was it only around Hancock?

Every now and then, one of the patrons would shuffle out of the way, and I'd catch a glimpse of Hancock's face, his serious expression as he thought of his next move, that toothy grin when he found something funny, or the way he confidently folded his cards.

He looked up at one of the patrons that was partially blocking my line of sight, said something to her, and then looked slightly behind her. His dark eyes went wide, and he shot up from his chair.

My eyes were dinnerplates, too; his sudden movement not only startled me but startled MacCready, Fahrenheit, and all the people surrounding their table. Hancock caused the table to jar, knocking a few cards from its surface and onto the floor beneath the table. His eyes were locked onto mine.

"Aw, shit, Hancock!" said Fahrenheit, gathering up the loose cards from the floor.

"Well, I guess that game's over," MacCready grumbled.

"... Gwen?" Hancock asked.

All heads swerved toward me. I suddenly felt naked and exposed.

MacCready's eyes lit up and a wide grin spread across his face. "Gwen!"

While Hancock and MacCready made their way to me, Fahrenheit cleared the room of the staring people, albeit somewhat perturbed.

I stood up and caught MacCready's hug first. The physical contact felt comforting.

When I let go, Hancock butted in and picked me up in a giant bear hug. When he set me back on my feet, he didn't let go. And neither did I. It felt good to just be held by him. He had a familiar smoky, woody, earthy smell to him, causing me to breathe in deeply and close my eyes. He really did smell like home. The warmth of his body washed over me and caused every muscle to relax. My eyes started to tear up, my cheeks felt hot. And above all else, my heart beat hard against my chest with a sort of happiness like cured homesickness.