Ch 25: A New Beginning

Hancock refused to stay behind with the others, but I didn't complain. I was without armor now and may have needed the backup.

Sturges got the elevator working again. We got in and went down one floor. I knew where Shaun's office was. We rushed down the hallway, into another elevator, up three floors, and down a long hallway. We barged into Shaun's quarters, past the small glass cell where he kept the Synth child, only the child was gone now. Further inside the room was a living area, complete with a small kitchen, bookshelf, couch, and a bed.

And there in the bed was Shaun. He looked weak and pale. When we slowly opened his eyes, he looked at me with disdain, hatred, disgust.

I faltered. What was happening here? He didn't even look like he was capable of putting up a fight.

Hancock's warm hand touched my shoulder.

I nodded and took the first step into the room.

"I didn't expect to see you again." Shaun spoke in a low voice, almost a whisper. "I don't suppose you're here because you've changed your mind."

His words clutched my heart. "No..."

He looked so tired. His eyes were glassy but dim, like life was leaving him.

"What's happened to you? Are you sick?" I asked without thinking.

"Don't pretend to care now. You had your chance to help me, and you cast me aside instead. It's not enough that I lay here dying, and now you plan on what? Destroying everything? Tell me, then. Under what righteous pretense have you justified this atrocity?"

"Seriously? All the enemies you've created, and you can't imagine why I'd be standing here?"

"Perhaps I didn't think to count you among them... Well, none of it matters now, I suppose. You'll accomplish your task and ruin humanity's best hope for the future. The only question left, then, is why you're standing here. Is it regret, or did you just come to gloat?"

His words stung. Why was I standing there? Why was I so concerned? Maybe I had a small hope that he would be the one to change his mind, or, at the very least, let me take him with me.

"Shaun, I — I had hoped there was something more I could do. I wanted to save you. There's still time to change your —"

"This isn't some fairy tale, Mother."

My heart lurched.

"There's no saving me. I'm dying. Cancer. And you're going to destroy everything I've ever loved. You're going to have to live with that. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'd like to be alone for my last few moments. Go, do what you must. But I hope someday you realize what will be lost here."

"Son..."

"Just... get out. There's nothing more to say." He turned his head on his pillow, away from me.

"Shaun, I'm just so sorry it had to come to this."

"It's too late to be sorry. Just leave me."

Hancock touched my elbow gently.

I turned to him.

When he saw my face, he winced. "Gwen. I'm sorry, but... we've gotta move."

"I know."

Then, I took a breath and moved away from Shaun to find his terminal. It was by the wall behind him on a desk. It wouldn't let me in, though. A security screen popped up with a box to type the password.

"I need the password," I said.

"Lemme look around," answered Hancock. He started rummaging through drawers.