Ch 7: The Interview

"You alright, Codsworth?"

"Just the Commonwealth these days, Mum. Never in my existence did I imagine we'd find ourselves in such a state. Nuclear war, the hubby gone, the fate of young Shaun... How many lives were lost due to the war? It's tragic, Mum. It truly is."

Hearing Codsworth's thoughts like this made me despondent. It was apparent to me early on that he wasn't without emotion, even for a robot. When Shaun wasn't feeling well, Codsworth showed concern. When Nate and I came home from a dinner date, he showed happiness. When I found him after emerging from the Vault, he showed both relief and grief. I didn't realize just how invaluable he was to our little family.

We were outside the house, watching the sunrise together. I was ready to leave for Diamond City; I just had to gather some things first.

"Miss Nora," he said with seriousness. "I'm gad you're here. I realize that the last two hundred years were just moments for you, Mum, but I'd like to think that we've maintained quite the rapport despite everything."

"Me, too, Codsworth." I smiled. "I'm glad you're here, too. It's comforting to know someone from... before." And I hated to leave him behind again. Then a thought crossed my mind. "Hey, how would you like to go to Diamond City with me? Maybe we'll find Shaun there."

"Are you certain I'm the man for the job, Mum? Although I live to serve, there may be someone better suited for the job."

"I'd like you to be there. You're part of the family, and this is a family affair."

"Well, it's an honor to be chosen to accompany you, Mum! I'll help you pack right away!"

He helped me gather a few supplies and put them in the duffle bag. I slung it over my shoulder and left in a hurry. I didn't give anyone so much as a goodbye. I had a feeling I'd be back with Shaun or I wouldn't be back at all.

____________________

Codsworth took his buzz saw to another Bloatfly, then ficked the juices from his blade. "The insects have gotten quite large the last few hundred years. By, Jove! Can you imagine the size of the swatter you'd need for them?"

I tried to give him a grin, but the Bloatfly had me too disgusted.

As Preston suggested, I stayed to the roads as much as possible. Codsworth would crack jokes every now and then to keep up our spirits.

I took in the sights of the Wasteland. The roads were cracked and uneven, abandoned cars littered the area with loose old tires and hubcaps, trees had fallen down and nothing green had grown in a while. The sun was still high in the sky with not a cloud in sight, so everything as far as the eye could see was perfectly illuminated, hiding no detail of the destruction left behind by the Bomb.

Everything almost felt unreal, like I was fully immersed in a movie where I was the main character and unable to change the channel. It felt as though I was helplessly watching this protagonist struggle to get her life together in an alien world. Every now and then, something would pull me back to reality and remind me that this was happening to me.

We crossed an old bridge that wasn't fully drawn down over the river. Someone had made stairs to walk over it. A small ship sat in the water underneath. The name on the side read "USS Riptide. A Raider started shooting at us from below. The old boat was full of them and barrels of burning trash and makeshift ramps to cross the water.

I ducked for cover.

"Now, this is my cup of tea!" Codsworth jeered.

What did he just say?