The Sound of a Heartbeat Ryu Hayabusa & Deaf!Teen!Reader

Having a deaf daughter was harder than expected for Ryu Hayabusa.

He could take on a whole army, do a hundred pushups hourly, and save the world again for the fourth time, yet, when it came to fatherhood, it was easier said than done.

Especially in his case not understanding you. He had tried many methods with Momji to try to get you to hear but not even the most powerful gem worked.

He continued to raise you despite you being deaf using lip reading and sign language mostly. Trying to speak through only vibrations was your current obstacle.

You had conquered so much so far it was amazing.

Now you were a teenager and you were going through teen stages with hormones and such.

Ryu at the moment was searching for you know there was a special area you liked to escape to. It was a sacred area with a cherry blossom tree in front of a beautiful pond that was constantly refilled by a small waterfall.

It was where your mother's ashes remained so only you and Ryu knew this area, and others considered it a forbidden territory.

He sat down beside you and you looked over and smiled.

Hello father, you signed.

What's wrong? He asked, using sign back.

Nothing.

Nothing?

You shrugged and fiddled with a strand of hair. Ryu knew you long enough that when you did that you were upset or not telling him something.

He waved his hand for your attention before signing, Something wrong

You sighed and nodded before opening up your mouth to speak. You were still learning and you had a heavy tongue when you spoke, but it was still communication.

"I am sad." You said.

Ryu pulled down his mask and slowly spoke, "Why are you sad?"

You reached out and pressed your hand to his cheek as he repeated feeling the vibrations of his voice and mouth movement.

"I sad because...unable to hear." You spoke.

"That's what makes you special," Ryu said cupping your hand.

"Spe-" You attempted to repeat.

"Special," Ryu said much slower.

"Spehal." You repeated.

He shook his head.

You moved your hand away and frowned looking down at the ground, pulling your knees to your chin. Ryu put his hand on your shoulder and you pushed it off groaning illegible words.

"(Name), slow down you know I can't understand you."

"Device helps hear." You tapped your chest with your pointer finger repeatedly, "I need."

"(Name)-"

"Please. Please." You begged.

Ryu nodded and you smiled and wrapped your arms around his chest. Your father smiled and petted your head as you pressed your ear closer to his chest.

You couldn't hear his heartbeat but you could feel the vibrations and that was comfort enough for you...

A month later and Ryu had found out about the device you were talking about called cochlear implants. It involved surgery and placing a magnet in your skull that would vibrate your internal ear hairs to help you hear.