chapter 3

I hadn't slept for god knows how long, so right when I hit that bunk bed, I was out.

I hated it here. The bunks, they reminded me of the skybox. Where we had all been locked up, a similar bed just like these. Except this was worse than the skybox. Much, much worse.

"Carson!" was what I woke up to.

My eyes lazily opened and I sat up, throwing the blanket off of me. I looked down to see Clarke, nobody else in the silent room. "Clarke? How long was I out?"

She helped me hop down from my position on the top bunk. "Almost a day," she chuckled. Her smile then disappeared and she said, "Listen, I need you to hear this."

She explained what I had missed and what her plan was, that she saw a body that was shot, and she swore it was a bullet, but then they could've doctored it to make it look like an arrow wound. She then explained how she saw the man who was burnt by the radiation and how he went to medical, and how she wanted to get into medical.

"Only patients get into medical," she finished.

My eyes glanced down at my arm. "I'm not sure I could risk opening this puppy back up. They just fixed the nerve—"

"I wasn't talking about you," she said, lifting up her bandaged arm. "I'll open it back up. Say you found me on the ground with it, or something. I'll get into medical, and I'll find a way out."

I didn't like the plan, but I knew it was one of our only choices, so, I nodded.

She peeled the bandage off of her wound and I looked away, slightly grossed out at her bloodied stitches. "Listen, if I don't come back, know I got out. I promise, I'll come back for you."

I nodded. "Got it."

I looked away as she slowly gripped the edge of the metal bed, ripping open each of the stitches on her arm as she winced in pain. I bit my lip to keep myself from stopping her.

When I looked back and she started to look faint, I grabbed her back and slowly helped her onto the floor, watching her shut her eyes in tiredness. As soon as she began to lose consciousness, I picked her up bridal style, my feet stumbling and my shoulder running into the bed, her weight being way more than expected. "Shit, Clarke," I mumbled. "The chocolate cake got to you."

As I ran out the door and through the hallways, fake frantically, her blood began to cover my green dress, splattering it in red.

Red and green. Now I might look like an elf. Haha.

As soon as I came across the presidents room, I began banging on the door and screaming for help. When many guards came towards us, I put on my best fake worried face and cried, "I don't know what happened, maybe it's because we were arm wrestling a while ago, but someone, please help her!"

They took her from my arms and I tried to bring myself to fake sob, even. They quickly ran off with her, me watching with fake tears pricking my eyes. When they rounded the corner, I silenced myself and smirked.

I turned around and triumphantly marched down the halls.

Well, I might want to change my bloody outfit.

Yeah, that was a pun.

A couple days later, I looked like a gumdrop. I had a bright pink dress on that was practically a tutu down to my knees. Surprisingly, it was comfortable, so if I had to fight anyone, I wouldn't split any fabric.

Everyone had caught on to Clarke's absence. I wasn't worried, since I knew where she was. Jasper wasn't worried either, but it sure as hell wasn't the same reason as me.

Jasper had told Maya to do some research as to where Clarke was. I played along, because I would let Monty and Jasper know she left a bit later. Keeping my mouth shut for now was the best option. If I could find out how the Mountain Men react, maybe I'd get a hint about what was wrong with this place.

I was sitting at lunch that day, playing the piano next to Monty and Jasper and humming random tunes.

I, of course, didn't know how to play a piano, and I didn't know any songs, but it was nice, humming to tunes I would make up.

It kept me sane cooped up in this place.

I looked over when Maya came over to us and sat down at the table. I slid into a chair next to Monty.

"Find out something? What is it?" Jasper whispered to the girl.

"Apparently, Clarke had some kind of breakdown. She just snapped. Started pulling out her stitches, trying to hurt herself."

Those sons of bitches are making all of this up.

"Where is she now?" Monty asked.

"The psych ward. Being monitored. I talked to a friend who works there, she thinks it might be a couple days before the doctors let anyone see her," Maya answered.

When Monty stood up and walked away from the table, I followed him. When we rounded the corner out of the dining room, I grabbed Monty's shoulder.

"Monty, they're shitting us," I whispered.

"What are you talking about?"

When a guard slowly walked by us, I hit his arm and smiled. I began rambling about boys and continued walking down the corridor, pretending not to be suspicious. When the guard passed, I spoke in a hush tone again. "I was there. I helped Clarke get into medical. She found a way out, she's not here, or crazy."

He furrowed his eyebrows. "She left us?"

"She's coming back for us, Monty. We just have to be patient."

Monty hesitated, then telling me, "Carson, the night of the battle against the grounders, we saw the Ark. It came down from space."

My heart swelled. "You mean..."

"I mean, there could be survivors, and they're not telling us," he said, a slight smile on his face.

I could only pray that if there were, that we were worth their time.