chapter 5

By the end of the week, I had mapped out the whole ventilation system. I needed to get out of this damned place. I stopped sleeping and choked down on food before going back into the vents. The nagging at my brain only increased, making me grimace and bite my lip every once in a while.

I really was going crazy.

I sat on my bed a few days later, sketching on my map.

I had kept my mouth shut about anything. I know it wasn't who I was to keep my mouth shut, but I figured it wasn't time yet. Nobody would believe me if all the proof I had was "use them."

I was going good, before Jasper recovered, telling us all that we should volunteer to do what he did.

Everyone said no. Nobody wanted to puke for days. Miller was definitely strongly opinionated about the matter.

"What are you doing?" Monty asked, scooting towards Jasper on the bed I sat next to him on.

"What?" Jasper said.

I stood up, Monty following. "When did you start swinging for their team?" I hissed. When he didn't answer, except licking his lips in annoyance, I shook my head. "Whatever. We're not doing any volunteer work, so ready to go after Clarke?"

When Maya came over, Monty sighed, mumbling, "Right on time."

"Hey, guys," she smiled. "Jasper, I'm so glad to see you're feeling better."

When she held up a paper to her chest, my heartbeat raced in shock, fear, confusion, etc.

ACT NORMAL, THEY'RE LISTENING!!!

I gaped at the sign, immediately looking up to Jasper for help.

"Thanks, I am," Jasper answered weakly.

She flipped to a different page.

THE BREACH WASN'T AN ACCIDENT. FOLLOW ME!

"You look, uh, rested," Jasper laughed.

I face palmed.

She laughed nervously and said, "Its pizza day. Who's hungry?"

I laughed my usual, loud, fake laugh. "I sure am!"

Maya merely turned around and led us down many hallways, where I hadn't seen before. We eventually got into a room, Jasper and Monty following behind me as I followed Maya into it.

When Monty closed the door behind him, Maya said, "We don't have much time, but we can talk freely here."

"What the hells going on?" Jasper asked shakily.

Maya looked down, tears pricking her eyes. "Maya?" Jasper mumbled.

"Im sorry," she breathed, barely speaking from her crying body.

"About what? What do you mean, it wasn't an accident?" Jasper said softly.

"They're using us," I blurted. "I've been using the vents. I heard." When Monty looked at me to explain, I did. "They exposed you to use Jasper, right? To test it?" I asked Maya.

She nodded, a tear falling guiltily from her eye.

"Did you know about this?" Jasper asked.

"No."

"Why would they do that to you?"

"Because the standard treatment sucks compared to you."

"That's what Dante said."

"What's the standard treatment?" Monty voiced my thoughts.

"Through there," Maya said, gesturing towards the small space behind her.