chapter 4

Every day, it felt like my mind was slowly being drowned by the loss of hope. I was slowly being enveloped by insanity.

I was paranoid. Everywhere I went, my heartbeat would increase each time I saw a camera in the halls. I started imagining things, like hearing Bellamy's name or seeing my necklace on one of them.

I had to keep sane until Clarke got back.

Jasper came into the bunks one day, telling Monty, "Clarke left. She faked being crazy to get into medical and took off."

I scoffed and rose off of my bed to come and stand next to him. "Jasper, you really think that lowly of her?"

He threw his arms up. "Carson, what do you think happened?"

I stepped towards him. "I helped Clarke escape. She's trying to find a way to get all of us out. She didn't abandon us. She couldn't have just took all of us with her, could she?"

"We have to go after her," Monty said.

Our eyes traveled to where Jasper was looking, where Maya stood in the doorway.

"Pack your stuff, Mont," I told Monty, grabbing a backpack and stuffing my annoyingly bright clothes into it, Monty doing the same.

"I just heard," Maya said. "You're leaving?"

"Absolutely," I chirped.

"No, were not," Jasper fired back.

"What would Clarke do?" Monty asked him.

I ignored their hushed voices and looked down at my outfit for today. A pastel pink skirt that was puffy enough to be a marshmallow, even though I've never seen one, and a blue top. Somehow, I always get the clothes that make me look like a rag doll.

Perfect for this dollhouse.

When I heard, "Radiation," mumbled by Maya, I furrowed my eyebrows and looked over.

Her skin began bubbling and burning, causing my eyes to widen and drop my things.

"There's been a containment breach," Maya panicked, running to the door and scanning her key card.

"How?" Jasper asked frantically.

"I don't know," she cried.

When her key card continued being denied, she turned around and cried.

My mouth hung open in horror at the sight in front of me, her sliding down the wall with blisters and blood taking over her face and limbs.

Monty and Jasper ran towards the door, slamming fists on it and screaming for help.

I only watched.

I didn't go in the room with Maya as Monty and Jasper did.

When I impatiently tapped my foot on the ground and crossed my arms, wondering why it was taking so long, I heard someone call my name.

I looked up and met a familiar pair of green eyes and long hair. "Hey, Brook. What are you doing here?"

I felt myself almost choke every time I said the name.

She shrugged. "I heard there was a containment breach. I was just making sure Maya's okay."

I nodded. "Yeah, she is."

She nodded and pursed her lips.

I steadily narrowed my eyes at her, seeing something about her playing with her fingers and bouncing on her heels wasn't right. "Are you okay?" I asked.