chapter 7

Monty had been missing. For two days.

I didn't risk leaving the room unless for food or through the vents. Not after the traumatizing experience.

I felt like my mind was itching. Like I needed to ease the feeling somewhere, but I couldn't grasp where, because it was everywhere. I felt like I was panicking all the time because our friends were being taken and I don't know why, where, or how.

I was panicking because I wanted to get out of this damn mountain before I found out where Monty and Harper had disappeared to.

I had searched almost everywhere in the vents. I almost thought it was possible that Monty and Harper were gone, or even worse.

I decided it was best to assume they were in a place with no ventilation systems.

On this particular morning, I sat next to Miller, not even freaking knowing where Jasper had went. I wasn't sure, but I was scared out of my mind for him. What if he disappeared next? Jasper was our leader now. That would literally just leave me and Miller, and, well... Maya and Brook.

I mean, I'm sure me and Miller could break ourselves out easily. But contact the Ark, hack into things and make great plans?

Yeah, no.

I sighed and sat across from Miller on the lower bed. "What do you think they're doing to them, Mill?"

"God knows with these people," he said, shaking his head. "We can't do this alone. We cant get all of us out without the Ark."

I slapped his arm and sat up straighter. "I like to think we can," I smiled at him.

He furrowed his eyebrows at me. "How are you always so optimistic and fun?" he asked. "Your best friend and your boyfriend are out there somewhere."

"Boyfriend..." I said, testing the word on my tongue. I shrugged. "Huh, I like it."

He leaned towards me. "I'm serious, Carson."

I bit the inside of my cheek. "I feel like I'm going crazy," I confessed. "I'm so scared, Miller. I'm so terrified that if I even let myself think about him for a second, I know I'll snap in two." He gave me a look of sorry. "I can't settle in this place. I'm going insane. I-I can't think without twitching because of how badly I feel like I'm always out in the open here. I don't want to be like the grounders. Am I selfish for thinking that?"

"Carson, none of us want to be like them," he said, putting a hand on my shoulder. "We're all terrified. You just happen to be better at hiding it."

I nodded weakly. "How long until we get out?"

He pursed his lips. When he only looked at me, I stood up and sighed, wiping my pink gumdrop dress off, even though I knew there was nothing there. I told him, "I'm gonna go look for Jasper." Then, I got up, climbed to the top of the bunk beneath the vents, and told Miller, like usual, "Close it behind me."

Then, I took off.

I went searching for a while, going to the presidents room and all of the other secret systems rooms I had mapped out. It took me a damn while to finally find something interesting.

I was passing by the presidents office, hearing voices of Dante and his son. I strained my neck to hear, but when I could barely make out what they were saying, I decided to peer through instead.

I saw men grabbing Dante, and although I couldn't make out the other words, these seemed to be the loudest. "They take orders from me now," the younger Wallace said with a menacing tone.

My eyes widened.

Now that an evil leader that hates us was under command, we are so screwed.

I backed up and began turning down the halls, stopping when the fabric of my sling got caught on the edge of a corner.

I grunted as I tried to pull it away, but it wouldn't budge.

I sighed as I took it over my head, hitting the small space I was in as I ripped it off of my arm and left it in the space.

I have to get to the room, before—

A loud alarm began going off, and I groaned out loud.

I went fast back to the rooms, punching the door open and practically falling onto the bed. All heads turned towards me. "We're shit," I exclaimed.

Jasper lazily pointed to the door, which was sealed shut. "Yeah, we know."

When I saw Monty and Harper, my eyes widened.

They looked almost dead.

"What the hell happened to you two?" I asked, holding Monty's face as tears pricked my eyes.

They all shared looks. "Carson, they're using our bone marrow," Jasper said.

I felt like I couldn't breathe. "What?"

"They drill," Harper said, her eyes drifting off in horror, looking like she was just remembering it.

We were in a dollhouse. We were being manipulated, and the ones playing with us had full control.

We were in a mouse trap, and the cat slowly began to rip us apart.

My mouth hung open in horror. 

"Listen, Carson," Jasper said, stepping towards me. "There's someone here. Undercover as a guard."

"Huh? Who?" I asked, genuinely confused, snapping out of my state of mind.

He looked around, hesitantly. "Bellamy."

I felt like I was going to choke just hearing it.

My eyebrow twitched. "Huh?"

"Bellamy's their inside man, Carson. He's here," Monty explained.

I frowned as I felt tears prick my eyes. "How do you know?"

"I saw him," Jasper said. He nodded in confirmation at himself. "It was him."

Oh my god.

"You should stay here, for now," Monty said. "They might notice you're not here if you go in the vents."

I nodded, only half comprehending what he was saying.

Don't get your hopes up. Don't get your hopes up.

Don't let your walls fall, Carson.

1001 words
hi sorry i keep forgetting about this story guys!!! hope you enjoy <3