Chapter 11

The corridors that I was swiftly walking through were empty. Unnervingly so. I decided to pass through the dining area since I had been there so many times that one day. The tables were empty, and I walked past the food heater that had caused me so much annoyance.

Sneak into the Bridge and remove a fuse from the main panel as I try to avoid drawing the notice of the ship? Really? Was there no easier task that they could give to me? I am a Cargo Bay assistant, not an Officer sworn to go down with the ship unless everyone else is safe!

"Rachel?"

I spun around with a gasp, completely taken by surprise. My eyes immediately located the cook who was now peering out from where he had hidden in his small kitchen.

"Cook?" I still didn't know his name, nor had he ever entered it into the work tickets.

He looked relieved to see someone. "What is going on?"

"The AI has taken over, and we are in space once more. We are trying to find everyone left on board and send them to the main agricultural room."

He came out of the kitchen. "I assume we plan to grab the spacesuits and bail once we have located everyone?"

I was thankful for my practice in controlling my expression. "Yes. Do you know if anyone else is on this level?"

If the AI was listening to us, then hopefully this conversation would give me some cover. The cook shook his head. "No, the doors wouldn't open when I tried to evacuate earlier, so I remained here. I have an oxygen tank in the back storage room."

The doors had originally locked him in? But I had just passed through them with no problems... I quickly collected my thoughts. "Grab your oxygen and head to the agricultural room. I will check the rest of this level."

He nodded and went into the back room before coming out with a small tank as he headed out the dining area door. The door opened just fine for him now. I shook my head to refocus and quickly continued on my way.

I walked uneasily down this new corridor. I had never been on level one, although I had seen the layout on various maps previously. In theory, everyone had access to this level, although my access to level two would keep me from triggering alarms that would notify the Bridge of my presence on this level.

I passed by a dark grey door and assumed it belonged to the weapon control rooms that were also on this level. The Tyndel wasn't a true fighting ship, but we still needed to be able to keep pirates and never-do-wells at bay. I passed the shield room without pausing, heading to the last door on the corridor.

It led to the Bridge. It was the main control room where the Captain and various Officers had massive consoles that allowed them to monitor and partially control everything on the entire ship.

I wiped my sweaty hands on my leggings as I approached the rather imposing door. It quietly opened at my approach. Here I go... This was not what I signed up for.

I carefully peeked inside, but there was no one here. I kept against the walls since I knew the floor around the various consoles would react to my presence if I got too close, and I really didn't want the ship to realize I was in here.

Truth be told, I am very surprised that the door wasn't locked... I edged closer to the well-hidden panel. I didn't dare use my Analyzer, lest it tip off the ship.

"State your business here." I froze as a voice came over the speakers in the room. I recognized it, even though I had only ever heard it on one previous occasion – two weeks ago, to be specific. The AI knew I was here.