Chapter 26

It didn't take Romeo long to show up. One thing was certain though; no one would ever tease him about his name. He was one of the taller men I had seen, and he was solid muscle. He probably would have made most wrestlers think twice about an arm wrestling match.

"Ready to go?"

He nodded, and I started walking down the ramp. He walked amiably beside me, often getting startled glances from people we passed due to his sheer size.

'What is the nearest location a taxi can get to?'

"Richardson Square. Benjamin is only a two-minute walk from there."

Several taxis were always around the base of the docking station, and we got into one. I took the front seat while Romeo somehow managed to squeeze into the back.

"Richardson Square, please."

The hover taxi took off, gaining altitude to get over buildings between us and our destination. We got there within five minutes. 'Is he still out cold?'

"Affirmative. Go down the back alley between the clothing store and the shoe shop. If Romeo stays mostly behind you, the shield can block anything that might otherwise hit him."

I pretended to check my Guide for a map before pointing. "Looks like we get to go down that nice spooky back alley."

Romeo raised an eyebrow in mild surprise, but didn't hesitate in following me. I had no idea why any of my crew would wander down such a questionable alleyway.

"I believe he was pulled out the back door of the store he had been in."

'Lovely... Which way now?'

Starsong continued to give directions as we followed the twisting narrow path. I spotted the slumped form on the ground and quickly went over to kneel down beside him as I checked his pulse.

Starsong informed me, "He will have a splitting headache when he wakes up, and he may have a bit of a concussion, but otherwise there is no damage such as broken bones."

'And just how can you tell that?'

"Your communication device has some fairly elaborate scanners built into it."

'Great... I am now a walking Analyzer... Are we safe to move him?'

"Yes."

I sighed. "He is just out cold, but we are safe to move him."

Romeo took my word for it, and he would have recognized Benjamin as one of our crew. He picked up the slender man, and we started walking back.

We were halfway back to the road when Starsong commented, "You have company ahead. Your Guide will work with this group."

'That thing was supposed to be a tool, not a formidable weapon capable of taking on a small army...'

"That is a minor detail."

There was no point in arguing with him, and it was about to come in very handy. I spoke quietly, "We have company ahead, so don't let them take you by surprise. It looks like Benjamin's assailants didn't go very far. Do not get between them and me."

Romeo narrowed his eyes at the shadowy areas ahead, but didn't comment or slow his walk. My own heart was speeding up despite the knowledge that my shield would stop them even if they did get close.

Four shadows moved out to block our path. Romeo stopped beside me. One man tapped an iron bar into the palm of his other hand. "Well, well, well. What do we have here?"