Chapter 19

I sat at the dining table on the Tyndel as I ate breakfast. I was also waiting to see who was brave enough to change ships. I really did not expect many to come just due to the fact that Starsong was an aware AI - and had technically kidnapped them five days ago... At least half were staying on the old ship. I knew that Cynthia, Logan, and one other man were coming with me for sure, but the rest had been undecided.

My own suitcase was by my feet. I didn't have much, especially since clothing and uniforms were typically provided by the ship we served on. I heard footsteps and watched the open door expectantly.

Cynthia came into sight and looked relieved. "Thank goodness you're still here! I was worried I was going to have to walk over there by myself."

"Nah, I wouldn't do that to you. I figured most would show up here for breakfast, and it would only be polite to walk with those who want to come. The others still have until 8 to decide."

She nodded and went to go get some food. I watched the door as the meal continued. They had unanimously arranged their schedules so we all ate at the same time. Many coming in were wearing the Tyndel's ship uniform and had no baggage, which showed their choice.

It wasn't terribly long before I had my answer. Only eight of us were in civilian clothing and had our suitcases or bags. I was surprised to see that the cook was going with us. I waited until everyone had finished eating, including those who were staying; they had lingered to watch our departure.

I took a deep breath and stood up. Silence immediately fell as everyone watched me. I spoke clearly, "I am going to walk over. People are welcome to come with me if they want."

All of those wearing civilian clothing stood up and gathered their stuff. I looked towards those in uniform. "I wish you safe travels. The spaceship has been programmed to go straight back to Telbert and dock."

A few murmured goodbyes, but most started to scatter now that it was clear that we were, indeed, leaving. Our small group walked down the corridors one last time before we passed through the main access door.

A few seemed jittery and somewhat nervous as we walked down the docking ramp, while others kept glancing uneasily towards Starsong. Realization hit me - they were nervous, and possibly scared.

I had spent the better part of five days talking with Starsong, and that had slowly removed all of my uneasiness regarding the AI. Starsong had spoken once to them directly, but that was it. He was an unknown and scary enigma to them.

"I did not expect Rory to come."

That made two of us. 'Neither did I.' Rory had been an Overseer in the Accounting area and had always been striving for an Officer position. I was sure his over-ambitious nature would cause trouble in some fashion or another eventually. I dismissed his presence from my mind as I walked up the next ramp towards Starsong.

Once I reached the top, I paused and turned around. The seven others stopped and waited since it was clear I was going to speak.

"Welcome to the Starsong. Before we go in, you can decide if you want to retain your previous position or try a new one. Training will be offered in all areas, and Starsong has said that he can handle the entire ship by himself while we learn. The systems here will be different, so we will all have things to learn."

Cynthia was the first to respond. "I love plants, so I want to remain in agriculture."

Logan glanced at the ship nervously before speaking, "I would love to remain in the software field, but if Starsong objects, then I can probably shift my specialty into engineering, shields, or weapons."