Tea for Two

Princess Adel was accustomed to getting whatever she wanted, even if it meant plucking the information or object from that person's hands. She was quite skilled at it, actually, as if she'd been graced by the gods to receive a second soul gift.

As if elegancy just wasn't enough.

Truth is, she hated her gift, hated it as much as her purpose in life: to be another man's treasure; to marry for her father's sake and not for love.

Women were more than pawn's on a chest board. They could be just as fierce and conniving as men. They could climb to the top and they could rule even better. Princess Adel knew this, and soon, she would show them all.

Mariam, her aunt, emerged wearing a black gown with a veil covering half of her face. She was not a beautiful woman, to say the least, but her flawless, porcelain skin slightly made up for it.

Mariam was also on the heftier side, but whatever fat she had was well hidden under a corset that made her appear to be in an enteral state of uncomfortableness.

Adel chuckled as Mariam slow took a seat at the silver table, her distain as clear as a cloudless night. Adel noted Mariam's pinched, thin lips and airy disposition, as if the idea of sitting with her niece, drinking tea was unfortunate.

So much for family.

But Adel didn't care if Mariam would or would not play nice. She only wished for one thing.

Servitude.

"Who, might I ask, wears black to a tea party?" Princess Adel chimed, studying the cold sneer painted on her aunt's lovely face.

"One who regrets ever being invited," Mariam replied, patting down the puffed up ruffles at her chest. She glanced at the tea and delicacies before her as if they were bugs. "We all know your little parties aren't about the tea and scones. Do tell, sweet niece. Why did you invite me?"

"Because the others are quite a bore, if I am to be honest," Adel told her, picking up a cup of tea to examine.

"Or perhaps they have nothing you value."

"And you do?" Adel asked, taking a small sip from her cup.

"Ah," Mariam laughed, the sound deep and malicious. "I think we both know what it is you desire most. But I'm sure that's not why I'm here. Tell me, how is the newest countess fairing?"

Adel cocked her head to the side as she studied her aunt. "I have not seen the poor thing in days. I surmise she's fairing as decently as any commoner meant to live in the castle. Do drink before your tea gets cold."

Mariam begrudgingly lifted the cup and saucer to her mouth. She paused before drinking.

"The rumor mill has been churning," Mariam said, her dark eyes gleaming with an unknown emotion. "A particular western king is journeying here to meet your father's newest muse."

"So I've heard."

"Then you also must know what your father has planned for you." Mariam's dark eyes were filled with amusement as she finally drank from her cup. She raised a single brow when Adel didn't answer. "So you don't know."

"One can only guess," Adel admitted, her voice softer than she wished as she watched Mariam drink the tea. She'd almost forgotten how conniving her aunt could be.

"Your father wishes to use you as King Nander's distraction," Mariam sang, playing with her food. "All to keep his eyes away from the true jewel, Sun."