Partners Not Friends

The outfits are in the external link

(Ray POV)

After talking to my dad last night, I was in a “do not disturb” mood. I just wanted my dad back. I missed him way too much. I sighed, walking into school. It was 7:30, school didn’t start until 8:00. I saw Zonnique digging through her locker, as I walked down the hall. I silently crept up and leaned on the locker next to her’s. She closed her locker and jumped.

“Don’t do that.” She says, putting her hand over her heart.

 “Scary much?” I asked with a smirk.

 She smirked back. “Whatever. You ready?” She asks.

 I nod, looking her up and down. She was looking fly, just like yesterday.

She put her hands on hips. “And…you starin’ at me…why?”

 I smirk. “Chill with that, Domi.” I said.

 “Domi?” She raised an eyebrow.

 “All your other friends have a nickname for you.” I said.

 “Keyword…”friends"…WE—" she pointed to herself, then to me “are NOT friends. We are partners. Got it?” She says.

 I was a little shocked. Little Zonnique Miller finally standing up for herself? Hm… “A’ight. I got it.” I said.

 She turns on her heel and proceeds to walk away. I follow her. This view? I was loving. We walked into the library and sat at a table near the back. She pulled out a notebook and pen. “You wanna go first? Or should I?” She asks.

 “You can go.” I shrug, pulling out some paper and a pen.

 “Okay. My name is Zonnique Brianna Miller. My bday is May 8th and I’m seventeen. I have a half-brother. We live with our dad and my mom. Uhm…My mom’s side of the family originates from Jamaica.” She says, then paused, allowing me to write all that down.

 “The island? Or the city in New York?” I asked, glancing up.

 “The island.” She says.

 Damn. That’s sexy as hell. No wonder she was so sexy. “A’ight. Go ’head.” I said.

 “My dad’s side comes from Tennessee…” She says.

Island-slash-country girl? Wasn’t she just full of surprises.

She continued to tell me things about her. Her favorite color is lavender, she loves Hello Kitty and Mickey Mouse. And a lot of other things. Actually, she took up the whole 30 minutes. Which was fine by me.

“My bad. I ain’t mean to take up all the time.” Domi says, looking down at her phone. Which had a Hello Kitty case.

 “It’s cool. We still meeting after school?” I asked, standing up and picking up my bag.

 “Yeah. In here.” She says, as I follow her out of the library.

 “Niq-Niq!”

 We both turn. The sexy girl from yesterday skips over. She looks at me and smiles.

 “Hi, I’m Zuicora. Are you a friend of Zonnique’s?” She asks.

 I looked at Domi.

 “We’re partners for an assignment. Not friends.” Domi says.

 “Well…It was nice to meet you…?” She paused.

 “Ray.” I fill in.

 “Nice to have met you Ray.” She smiled.