Chapter 7: Life Behind Palace Doors

The next morning, i walked to the kitchen and found Carter doing his homework while eating the jam Felix and I gave him.

I sleepily said, " You're up early."

Carter was shocked to see me and winced as he said, " So have you." Carter complained " Argh. Why does this jam taste so weird.... "

I asked for the jam, " Let me have a look at it.." I quickly scanned through the jam " Mmm.. Ahh.. Carter, this thing had reached it's passé . That's why it tastes fested. "

Carter took the jar and realised, " Ahh.. i see.. "

I soothedly said, " You could always find these in the grocery store. Ask your mom to take you with her, whenever she goes grocery shopping for our kitchen."

Carter surprisingly asked, " Really?" Carter gesturedly said, " I thought they were ' Made in France',  how is it available at Denmark?"

I softly chuckled, " No dear. The product is from France but imported to Denmark."

Carter realised, " Ahh.. i see.."

I curiously asked, " I'm surprised to see you up so early, do you have school?"

Carter said, " No school today. The Royal Wedding was just yesterday. It was suppose to be a Public Holiday. So yeah. "I nodded.

After awhile of chatting with Carter, i've decided to get ready for the day. I made my way down the hallway to my room, when from a distance,  i saw Nikolai and Felix seemingly had a chilled and relaxed conversation. But soon, they started ranting at each other. I secretly walked quickly to get a closer  hearing of their rantings at each other. I had an iffy feeling about this.

I heard Nikolai saying, " ... But it's something i've been wanting to do, Felix! Why won't you understand that?!"

Felix then asked, " Stop making these SLEEZY INNUENDOES! Ever wondered how mom would've felt?!"

Nikolai answered unsurely, " Proud? Happy? Supportive... of me?!"

Felix bellowed in agony at Nikolai, " No..no..no.. I think you're missing my point here, ..." I was then soon caught eavesdropping in their conversation.

Felix asked,  " Rachel, dear? Is that you?"

I surrended, " Okay, yes it was me. I'm sorry... I was just you know... "

Nikolai insisted, " No, it's fine. Besides you're part of the family. You get to see life behind palace doors." Nikolai tapped on my back as he slowly walked down the hallway.

I wryly told Felix off , " What the hell are you doing?! No, what are you thinking?! Seriously? Sleezy Innuendoes?! Have you been reading? " Felix's eyes avoided eye contact with mine.

I continued chiding at him, " Oh... Wow, those words brought a total shock to me. You know what? I'm happy that you're learning, however please do watch your language, we're at a Palace. There are staff members everywhere at anytime!"

Felix defended himself, " Well..." He murmured, "he was being such a brat.."

I wasn't able to hear what he was saying and asked, " Pardon me?! "

Felix fanned himself and asked, " Ahhh.. why is it stiffling in here?! "

I asked, " Are you tensing up? Sweating, perhaps?"

Felix nodded and i said, " That means you feel guilty." I could see through Felix's eyes that he did felt guilty .

I continued, " Look i was just part of the family, just yesterday! I received no warm welcome at all! And all of a sudden this whole drama happens UGH! I would just so very much APPRECIATE THAT YOU WOULD PAUSE A MOMENT OF SOLVING THIS WHOLE DRAMA AND SPEND SOME TIME TOGETHER! I'm not asking much...!! "

I could see Felix holding out his hand to mine and i immediately stopped him and said, " No, not now. I need some time off alone."

I walked away from Felix, i didn't know where or which direction i was heading towards.

Where all of a sudden from a distance a voice yelled, " Rach! Rach! RACHEL! Princess! Princess Rachel! "

I turned to see who it was and yes, i did recognise that voice, it was Samantha's. I answered her, " Oh.. If it isn't the Princess of Denmark or very much well-known as the Queen of her own fashion world!!"

I paused for a moment and saw samantha's expression saying that she wasn't expecting all this. I apologised, " I'm so sorry, i didn't see you there."

Samantha guessed, " Where's your subtle nuances? What's wrong, everything alright?" I nodded.

Samantha continued, " Hey.. look, i felt bad for not properly welcoming you to the palace, yesterday.. it's just this whole... "

I finished her sentence, " Drama thing? Yep, i get it. "

She apologised, " Sorry. But i'll make it up to you, what do you want to do? Although i'm quite precarious."

I asked, " Well, what do you usually do?"

Samantha thought for awhile and said, " Enjoy The Palace Gardens?"

I asked, " Palace Gardens?"

Samantha nodded and said, " Yeah, my favourite place in the Palace besides my room." Both of us giggled.

I derisively said, " Wow, i didn't know you were so close to nature. If i'm not mistaken, you used to fear grass. What made you change your mind?"

Samantha answered truthfully, " I dont know. After being a part of this family, you don't leave the Palace unless you have an engagment to attend to. And it's just... it's just... "

I guessed, " Boring?"

Samantha said, " .... And lonely. But now that i have you here, things will change cuz we get to hang out more often and that's exciting!"

Samantha continued, " Well, there's a secret garden.."

I gushed, " Let's go there, then! While we're at it, why not a tour of the palace?"