I love you

"Sorry your father isn't here he's away on business." Emily explained. Rory smiled and Loreali kept poker faced as she still was upset about the argument at last Friday night dinner. "So Rory." Emily continued "Do you have a boyfriend?" "Umm....I'm seeing a boy called Jess." Rory admitted going red. "Sure try and pump her for as much information as possible." Loreali muttered under her breath. "What was that Loreali?" Emily asked raising her eyebrows. "Nothing Mum." Loreali sighed aggressively stabbing a carrot on her plate and then eating it. "Anyhow." Emily said. "So this Jess can I meet him?" "Well Grandma he works at his Uncle's diner and he just started working a second job at Walmart to pay for his new car and...." Rory gabbled. "He doesn't work every day though does he?" Emily asked. "No....." "Is he working this Friday?" "Well no but..." "Great I'll see you both at dinner next Friday. I'll go check on desert." Emily smiled.

One week later

"Remind me why I'm doing this again?" Jess grumbled standing with Lorelai and Rory on the doorstep. "Because your the most amazing boyfriend in the world?" Rory suggested. Jess's frown involuntarily turned to a small smile when Rory said this and he had to suppress the urge to kiss her. Although he didn't show it very often he was actually very much in love with Rory and would do anything for her hence why he was coming to Friday night dinner. Eventually Lorelai rang the bell and was greeted by Caroline ( Emily's latest maid - the last one was fired for serving the wrong kind of tea during her DAR meeting ) who took their coats and led them to the sitting room for drinks. "Hello Lorelai, Hello Rory and I'm guessing you are Jess?" Emily asked. "Yep." Jess said curtly."Well I'm Emily Gilmore and this is my husband Richard. So tonight we're having roast, do you like roast Jess?" Emily asked sitting down. "Yep, I like most things." Jess replied. "So Jess, what school do you go to?" Richard asked. "Stars Hollow high." Jess answered. "Do you get good grades?" Richard inquired. "Yes he does." Rory interrupted. "He reads a lot too." "So." Richard continued ignoring Rory. "What College do you intend to go to?" "I'm not sure if I want to go to college." Jess admitted. "Well Rory's going to college, Harvard or Princeton or Yale one of the Ivy leagues." Richard boomed. "So global warming really sucks huh?" Lorelai said trying to change the subject. "So if you don't want to go to college what do you want to do with your life?" Richard questioned his eyes wide with a look of frustration plastered on his face. "I don't really know yet." Jess said looking a little cross himself now. "So you have no plans for the future? None at all? Well I hope you don't plan to drag my granddaughter down with you and your failure life!" Richard shouted. "Hey just because I'm a little different from you that doesn't mean that I'm a failure." Jess pointed out angrily. "I think that's quite enough." Emily interrupted and with that Jess left with Rory quickly following. 

"I'm so sorry again." Rory apologised. "It's ok, it's not your fault." Jess replied still looking upset and angry. "Sad boy." Rory said running her fingers through Jess's hair and then cupping his face in her hands. "Come here." Jess smiled pulling Rory close and kissing her passionately. "I love you." He whispered as he pulled away. "What?" Rory gasped. "I said I loved you.' Jess repeated staring into Rory's bright blue eyes waiting for a response. If it had been anyone else Rory would have freaked out and not known how to respond to this but it was Jess and she did love him so It didn't feel difficult to respond with "I love you too." Which made Jess grin from ear to ear like Rory ( or anyone else for that matter ) had ever seen before as he pulled her close, looked deeply at her and then said with a serious look on his face said "And no matter what I always will."