six

November 10th, 2005

"Layla Tremblay, Layla Tremblay," the lady at the front desk mumbled, typing things into the chunky computer. Her fake nails echoed a rhythm on the keyboard. "Yes, room 347."

"Thank you." Karen told her, grabbing Shawns hand and leading him through the hallway. Her son had been pestering her all morning about his best friend, who was going through one of her rounds of chemotherapy. She had been gone all week, and Shawn missed her dearly.

The hospital smelled of cleaning products, rubber gloves, and babies. All worked together to create an aura of false wellness and hope.

When they reached room 347, Karen gave her 5 year old son a stern talking to, explaining to him to be careful around Layla and to be nice to her. She explained that Layla had had a tough week and didn't feel well. Shawn however, had heard this spiel a number of times before when he had came to visit her. He didn't pay any attention but instead pretended he was.

At last, she opened the door.

Layla's room was decorated with drawings on the walls, various toys were scattered though out, and Max and Ruby was on the TV.

"Awe, Layla look who's here!" Jacqueline whispered to her withering daughter, who turned her head to look at the door.

"Hi," Shawn smiled sweetly at her. Layla returned the look.

"I missed you," she said.

"I missed you too," Shawn climbed onto the bed with her and sat next to her. He noticed a tube that ran from Layla's arm and to a pouch hanging about their heads. A yellow label was on it, saying a big word Shawn couldn't read.

"It's the medicine. It kills all the sick things in me." Layla explained, noticing him observing it.

"Does it hurt?"

"No, not really. It just makes me tired and makes my hair fall out."

Shawn trailed his eyes to her head, where she wore a purple winter cap with a white fluff ball atop it. "Is it working?"

"The doctors say it is."

"That's good." Shawn said, laying down completely with her in the bed so the two could watch Max and Ruby together.

Only two months after his visit, Layla was released and her cancer was in partial remission. The chemo had worked, and for a while Layla lived happily as a normal girl. She went to school, she ran around, she skinned her knees, and she threw temper tantrums. But most importantly she regained her strength. In the years to come, her doctors would wish that this period had lasted longer.

Maybe if she had been stronger, maybe she would have been able to fight the cancer for the second time after it hit her again, and she relapsed.

+