falling

"I could fall, or I could fly
Here in your aeroplane
And I could live, I could die
Hanging on the words you say
And I've been known to give my all
And jumping in harder than
Ten thousand rocks on the lake"

"I could fall, or I could flyHere in your aeroplaneAnd I could live, I could dieHanging on the words you sayAnd I've been known to give my allAnd jumping in harder thanTen thousand rocks on the lake"

Ashton: Did you know that there is this theory that if u open the door at 9:03 it's possible to see ur fairy godmother

Kat: Are u drunk

Ashton: what? no.

Ashton: Did nobody tell u that when u were a kid ?!

Ashton: it's something to do with 9 and 3. Lucky numbers or smthg.

Ashton: Imma open my front door. u have 2 minutes to do the same

Kat: I literally just woke up!

Ashton: aren't u curious?

With a groan, I drag myself through my bedroom door and down the stairs. Fairy godmother, my ass. I never knew Ashton McCoy was so goddamn superstitious. I check the time on my phone. As I walk through the thick carpet barefooted, the digits change: 9:03, it announces. I unlock the front door and twist it open. Haha, fairy godmoth-

My hand flies to my mouth and I take a few steps backwards in shock.

He's standing on the front step, shifting his weight from side to side as he does, that wide grin on his face-

"Oh my god," is all I manage. "Oh my god oh my god oh my fucking god-" I open my mouth several times in an attempt to say something intelligent but give up eventually and just throw my arms around Ashton. He hugs me back so hard that I'm lifted off my feet.

"How are you even-" I begin, but give up once more and just bury my head in his shoulder.

"Hi, KitKat," he whispers into my ear, setting me back down on the ground. The faint scent of deodorant and laundry detergent rises from his shirt, and it takes everything in me to unbury my face from it to look at him.

"You're joking. How is this happening? Are you real?"

Ashton pokes me in the cheek. "Real as ever, Greene." He pulls me close again. "You said you were bored to death. I thought I might hop over and say hi."

Something in my stomach unwinds. "You're serious? How'd you get here?"

"I took the train. And I asked your dad if I could come. Obviously." His eyebrows crease into a small frown as he looks down at me. "Sorry if I surprised you." 

I can't seem to get my voicebox to work. I shake my head in reply. "It's a good kind of surprise," I eventually manage to get out. I finally unfreeze and pull him into the house, laughing like I haven't done for months. I drag him up the stairs and into my dad's office. The lights are on even though it's still early, and I know it's occupied.