can't

"Is it ever gonna change?
So let me just give up
So let me just let go
If this isn't good for me
Well, I don't wanna know
Let me just stop trying
Let me just stop fighting
I don't want your good advice
Or reasons why I'm alright
You don't know what it's like"

"Is it ever gonna change?So let me just give upSo let me just let goIf this isn't good for meWell, I don't wanna knowLet me just stop tryingLet me just stop fightingI don't want your good adviceOr reasons why I'm alrightYou don't know what it's like"

I look in the mirror.

I can't, I tell myself firmly. I'm not allowed. He is dating Em. He loves her. It's so stupid of me to think of him like that. I am such an idiot.

With a sigh, I put my phone in my pocket and walk out my door. The rest of my family is already gathered downstairs with Ashton, all of them looking up at me.

"I didn't realize I was late," I apologize.

"We were just early," my granddad assures me cheerfully, and we head down the street to the Ramirez house. It's incredible weather, the coolness of the evening just beginning to trickle in and the shadows lengthening on the warm pavement. One and a half months until Christmas, I think to myself, as we reach the house. I wonder absently what to buy my family this year.

The barbecue has already started, and the tantalizing scent wafts through the air. The garden is filled with people, some with drinks in their hands, and the lights are on in the house; animated voices escape through the open door. As we step into the garden heads turn to see us, and all of a sudden they're all surrounding us and telling us how glad they are that we're here and my grandmother's better and just help yourself to the food and drinks, wow hello Katherine is this here your boyfriend?

"No. No, he isn't." Did I answer too quickly? Is my face red?

"Just a good friend of Kat," my dad adds. Because that's what we are. And hell, I can't forget about that. 

"Why don't you guys start eating?" someone - probably Mrs Ramirez- says. "Come up and talk to us whenever, but no pressure to do so. If you get tired of staying out here, you can just chill inside if you want. Watch any of the DVDs we've got if you find one that interests you. Whatever floats your boat, really."

Me and Ashton thank them and leave them all to talk about whatever it is they're going to talk about.

"Do you think I could be the youngest person in this place?" Ashton asks. He grins when I nod. "That's really something."

Ashton hands me a plate and fork, and I put one grilled corn on a cob on it. He raises his eyebrows marginally but keeps his mouth shut as he helps himself to the barbecued steak. We walk around, looking for a place to sit and eventually finding a large stone mound at the side of the house. Ashton hands me his plate, nimbly climbing onto it. I give him both of our plates, and somewhat ungracefully haul myself up after him.

"Oh, shit," he says suddenly. "I forgot to get a drink. Wanna come with?"

"Sure." As we walk back to the drinks table, I ask him, "So is it true?"