Council

Gelehrter woke with a start. Dawn had approached from beyond the massive walls in the distance, reaching down from the land to bless the denizens with its delightful touch.

The page heard the sound of bells in the distance and the clanging of steel. He turned to his master, who was already awake and staring out of the nearby window.

"We should start a training session soon. I believe Eisener wanted to see us." Stolzer glanced over his shoulder. "He called this 'research'. We should get moving, he doesn't use that term often."

The page heard the door to the forge open and shut. In a few moments the master smith and his apprentice met him with tired eyes.

"Come, mime. I do not have all morning and neither do you." He motioned for them to head out the back door. Gelehrter nodded and followed his master out into an open yard. The yard had seen much use, as the dummies and the practice equipment there seemed well maintained. Several dummies and spaces were marked for dueling and practicing with a lance.

Ana reached for a sheathed short sword. She nodded to the page and extended it out to him. He caught her gaze, a bright pair of shining emeralds. The sword she held was kept in a beautifully crafted scabbard of crimson leather. Brass had been fastened to the tip and near the hand guard. A strap had been tied to the sides—Gelehrter took the weapon from her and turned away shyly.

Eisener scoffed.

"Lets get started, lad." Stolzer motioned for him to face him. "Now, remember how duels begin?"

"Uh..." Gelehrter approached his master, shaking his head.

"First..." He bowed to the page.

The page returned the bow.

"Then...a prayer." The knight pressed his hands together. "'O, Lord, bless this conflict. Ensure no harm comes to those who uphold your holy word. May the victor grant wisdom to the living.'"

Stolzer and Gelehrter both drew their weapons. The page lunged forward for a thrust and his blade was turned aside with a deft parry. Gelehrter was struck on his shield arm and Stolzer whirled about.

"Keep your weapon close to you. Ensure I can't read your movements." The knight slapped him again with the blunt of his weapon. Gelehrter held his short sword in both hands, attempting to read his master's movements. His eyes focused onto his shoulders, but when his master lunged, his body couldn't react. He barely dodged another blunted blow and narrowly his blade deflected another.

Going easy on him, I see they've certainly been training. Eisener stroked his beard in contemplation. But the lad has a long way to go.

Ana bit her lip in anticipation and winced as he was struck again. The blows seemed to be soft.

"M-Master?" Gelehrter grimaced and clutched his side. "You're holding back on me."

"You saw my foes last night. If I give you my full swing, we wouldn't be training for awhile." Stolzer answered matter-of-factually. He lunged and missed his page's arm purposefully to tap his sword arm with the tip.

"Boy—listen well. Your master there is a killer, well versed in the language of death. Take what you learn from him to heart. For now, you are small, but as you grow, his blows will not be so gentle." The master smith crossed his arms and fixed his gaze onto the page. "So far, I have seen naught of your skill. You blindly swing. The weapon is trying to speak through you and he is trying to teach you the words. Listen well, for there will come a time when your master will be unable to protect even you."