Archaic Arbitrators

Rena wrestled with dreams. These dreams were plagues of her mind and in her better interests, these infectious ideals should be buried in the bowels of her psyche. Her Blessed Star hummed as it devoured her essence and stored her strength away. The familiar ebb of her life force was something she didn't admit she missed. Her eyes adjusted to the low light of the Medical Wing. The floor of the Citadel was occupied by nurses who made their rounds and they smiled at her as they passed. She glanced over to the form of Ana, who rested on her back.

She felt nothing. There was nothing which bound Rena to Ana in any way. Gelehrter's disappearance had sent waves through the Justicar. Those who were given clearance on her case were sworn to secrecy, but papers left about in complacency were easily committed to memory. Rena shook her head in dismay, but left the more complex aspects of it for later.

Ana raised her head and turned her gaze to Rena in wonder. The familiar flame of her innate curiosity still hummed within the depths of her eyes, but it remained only a shadow. Gelehrter had shared a bed with her before his disappearance, but it is unknown whether she would remember due to her condition. The puzzled expression seemed to always be present when she was awake, a side effect of an altered memory.

Several nurses approached the pair and checked their vitals. They paid special attention to Ana and stated her condition in hushed tones. From their body language, she surmised that nothing had changed since they were placed in the Medical Wing.

"How are we doing today, Rena?" One of the nurses attempted small talk.

"I am doing well." She answered cordially, but refused to bite. The nurse's fingers ran along her arm and rested on her wrist for a few moments. Another placed a thermometer for her to bite on and she took it begrudgingly.

"Have you seen anything new with your friend?" Another voice which she identified as Gavilis. He had accompanied them and she shivered at the thought of him slipping in unnoticed.

"Nothing. Ana hasn't shown anything new." The lie was firm, but it would not escape his notice. He normally would buy into it and search further into it, but this time felt different.

"You've been holding back. I know what it is you're holding onto and I would like to hold onto it." Gavilis pressed and she glanced about. The nurses were halted.

"You're using illegal magic in public."

"No one can prove that save for you and you are in no position to blackmail." Gavilis barked. "Gelehrter was exchanged for you, where is his Soul Cube?"

"It should be where you left it." Rena shook her head and buried her nervous reaction. Her arm tensed as she countered it trying to fidget. This did not escape him and he leaned forward, his emerald gaze piercing through her.

"Do not think you've escaped with the Soul Cube, we can always put you back." His threat struck a chord within her that she had not experienced.

As suddenly as he appeared he vanished. The nurses resumed their checks and hadn't skipped a beat. Ovelia strode from the entrance of the lift, her gait accompanied by a fellow Justicar. As they removed their hood, Arden's inquisitive gaze found her. Warmth which had filled them before were lost in the mask which she adorned so well. They waited patiently for the nurses to wander to other patients who demanded their attention. Arden retrieved a pair of stools and placed them close to Rena's bedside.

They took their respective places and Arden waved a hand over a quill. The feather danced as it dipped itself into a nearby inkwell.

"We've a few details to discuss before we get to the meat of our conversation. Do you know what happened to the Soul Cube?" As the latter of her words left her lips, she hushed her voice.