Good guy Gavilis

The Medical Wing had been quarantined, for Arden was resting within its halls. She was tucked into bed and several medical experts spoke with Ovelia a few meters away.

Rena, Ana, and Gelehrter were gathered near the bed.

"Blast..." Rena cursed under her breath. "A vampire managed to slip through security."

"Who was the head of the detail?" Gelehrter asked.

"I am unsure. Order was restored hastily, but it makes me uneasy. The situation presented itself too quickly. There is something not right." Rena rested her hand onto her hip, now murmuring to herself. She approached Ovelia and whispered softly to her for a few moments before leaving.

The Sanguine Overlord finally waved them off, taking a seat near Arden's bed. Her usual air of command had softened. The gaze of a proud, powerful and otherwise indomitable woman had been replaced by that of someone far lesser, someone who seemed to be prepared for the act of grief.

"My little girl..." She whispered, brushing Arden's pink hair aside. Along her cheek, the wound had closed after many failed attempts. She rested peacefully, unaware of the terrors of the waking world. "I would give anything to go back and not let that happen to you."

"My Overlord, I have come to report." One of the Justicar spoke near her side, brushing Gelehrter and Ana away.

"I will hear it."

"Eloise Delacroix has been placed into custody. We will act according to protocol or await your orders, ma'am."

"Bring her master to me." Ovelia's scowl caught him off guard and her tone sent shivers through his body. "I will speak with him. If this is his idea of a threat, then I will answer with my own."

"Your will be done, my Overlord." The Justicar was illuminated by glowing pixel boxes, his body disintegrating into nothingness.

"M-Ma'am, might I ask you something?" Gelehrter strode forward and spoke softly. "...What will happen to Arden? Will she be alright?"

"The doctors say she will live. Magic such as lifesap will take some time for her to recover from, as it takes more than just your body's strength. Through a small wound, much of her blood was taken. This is how they grow stronger in battle." Ovelia now stood upright, her air of command returning as she continued. "Rena has recommended you to me for ascension to Justicar. You will be greater than any knight, but you will not bear a title other than this. She speaks highly of you in reports. As your first assignment, you will guard Arden with Rena's help. As she is still the senior Justicar, you will adhere to her orders as if they were from my own mouth. Understood?"

Gelehrter barely contained his excitement. "Y-Yes, my Overlord!"

"Ana, tell me how you were able to discern the lifesap on the metal of Eloise's spear." The Sanguine Overlord's attention turned to Ana, the vast ocean of her optics tearing deep into the young smith's psyche. She however remained steadfast against the ocean's waves.

"I remember when a weapon enchanted with lifesap was brought to my home. Stolzer had mentioned then that its dark magic enabled the vampires to mend while they were in combat." Ana replied. "Or...at least...that's what I can remember."

"...Did Eisener talk of any other techniques while he was alive?" Ovelia's question burned through her defenses like an lit arrow to a house made of straw.

"I-I...I can't remember. But...I do feel as if I know what you are talking about. Papa's last gift to me was the ring he used to wear. I never took it off..." Ana lowered her head and her voice trailed off.