Dark Magic

Accalia woke in the darkness of her bedchambers. Her bright sapphire orbs absorbed what little light they could and she waited for her eyes to adjust.

Only seconds later she rose to a standing position. Miniature lights dotted the walls and she waved the tip of her finger. She growled under her breath in frustration, but her mask of indifference remained. As she passed several oil lamps they automatically lit themselves and the room was illuminated. Her room was otherwise unremarkable.

A simple bed donned with a sheet, a couple of sewn quilts and a pillow. She made no effort to return to the bed to right the mess.

Her feet padded against the embroidered carpet. It was soft but otherwise beneath her, for in her lifetime she had been exposed to the elaborate bedchambers of a Sanguine Overlord. The ruler's room was more her speed and she made it very known when the few lavish belongings she owned was the carpet. She claimed--when prompted--it belonged to the first Sanguine Overlord himself, Ernald. Her sapphire eyes sped over parchment which hovered in midair at her approach.

She shook her head in dismay. At first glance, it appeared to be dry recipes and other random assortment of things. However, she deciphered them quickly.

Some parchments were made entirely of anagrams, others in dead languages no one had spoken since the birth of Sanctuary. They were scrawled hastily, for the agents would soon be discovered by Justicar and their lives would be forfeit.

Accalia lowered her head and sighed heavily. She hadn't much time herself since the Justicar were also on her trail. Bodies, even if they were stored away, had much to tell. They had their methods of extracting secrets from corpses. Accalia could not be in many places at once and the magic to do so required immense preparation. In her chambers she could normally take the risks, but she discovered recording devices. No matter how much she prodded, she knew it would lead to danger. For the time being she allowed the devices to be hidden but she had an inkling of who was responsible.

Gavilis's mug flashed through her psyche and she snarled. The Grandmaster kept tabs on anyone he wished. Several moments passed as she quieted her fury with consecutive deep breaths. A knock rapped against her door and she reached for a stray gown draped onto a chair. She pulled the nightgown over her body and a servant entered. They appeared to be disheveled and pale, their bright eyes darting about.

"Ma'am, you've been summoned. There will be a hearing soon." Accalia glanced over their person and spotted tiny implications of the Blessed Star.

"If you are trying to keep tabs on me then at least send someone who is mind controlled by a more experienced operative." She growled and they appeared indifferent.

"We knew your behaviors and responded in kind." The servant crumpled to the ground and Gavilis approached the entrance. He entered promptly, forcing her to step aside. His emerald eyes focused onto her in the same way she had seen his enemies. Accalia glanced over to the body of the servant girl then yelped with surprise. What was there never was and she fell for a simple parlor trick, children's illusion magic. His strength was derived by the genius of the Dwyn, a lineage who were cursed to never sleep and be fueled entirely by the hunt for knowledge.

As a Mortem, her ability to cast fundamental spells and the like were unmatched. Even Arden, who was a dunce in comparison to someone as seasoned as herself, could manage some basic combat spells. Yet now she stood in the presence of someone who stood alongside Ernald and aid him in building the empire which Sanguine Overlords rule. The Grandmaster of the Justicar boasted power and even being in the presence of a man, despite his lack of height, terrified her. Cold sweat beaded from her brow as she examined her. His trained eyes were like wolves on the prowl, never missing a single detail.