Amen

The company sat in Ovelia's meeting room. She had invited them to join her some time ago and since Stolzer's ascendance, they obliged her. Eisener had already retired near the fireplace, his hand never leaving his hammer. Ana and Gelehrter sat adjacent one another, sipping at their coffee. Rena however, merely stared into her tea.

Arden served them refreshments, occasionally taking breaks herself. Ovelia had confined herself to her bedchamber, pouring over the contents of the book.

Gelehrter was in awe of the collection of weapons, both ancient and recent, which she hung on the walls. The books which traveled from the Grand Library to her shelves entranced him. His wish for a manual of fencing was delivered to his hands and when he longed for a tome on Sanctuarian histroy, it was replaced almost instantaneously.

"Mother is taking quite some time. I had better check on her." Arden excused herself and left them alone.

"I can't believe he's..."

"Gone?" Eisener chimed in.

"Aye."

"Stolzer was a good man." Ana played with a doll she found laying about, seeming to enjoy herself. "Though..."

"He was still too weak for smith's work." The two smiths joked, Eisener's laugh was silenced quickly by Rena's glare. "...He would have found it enjoyable as well."

The entrance to Ovelia's bedchamber opened. They all turned to her in unison and she took her place next to Rena with Arden in tow.

"We will have a funeral for him, though the casket will be empty." Ovelia announced. "Don't worry about the expenses. Since he was part of my military, I will take care of the details."

"The casket won't be empty. We still have his weapons, they embody his fighting spirit. His will and struggle to survive. To a smith, or any knight, dying in battle and being buried with the tool you use to survive is the greatest honor." Eisener spoke over his shoulder. "I will craft my final gift to him."

"Papa, you know you can't--"

"No! You will not stop me, this is a gift!" He bellowed. "A gift, a shield! A mighty shield to guard him in the afterlife. A shield able to stop even death itself!"

The man's tenacity was only stopped by a coughing fit. As he attempted to stand, he fell forward to one knee and knocked over the hammer. Ana rushed to his aid with Gelehrter close behind. He brushed them aside and lifted the hammer.

"Come, Ana. We must work..."

"Papa, you can't. This is too much for you, let me--"

"You will not interfere!" Eisener's inspiration gave way to fury as Gelehrter attempted to help.

"Let them go." Rena ordered. "We will escort them to the smithy."

"Yes, that would be best. Please, be careful. The night is ripe." The Sanguine Overlord bowed to her knights and the smiths, who returned the gesture.

Arden watched them leave. The girl's piercing gaze was blinded by a string of tears running down her face.

The forge raged long into the night. Eisener worked the steel into the shape of a massive shield, the piece had been set by Ana, who only helped when he couldn't continue for a short spell. His hammer rang in sorrow for his friend, the feelings of helplessness and despair resonating into the metal. The rivets and other accouterments were finished in a few days time, the emblem of the Sanctuarian Templar was etched into the center. His tears and sweat were burned into the metal, the sheer force of the hammer shook the entire abode.

During his final hours of adding finishing touches to the shield, he reached out to Ana. Eisener placed a ring onto her finger, a simple band of gold, which gleamed. Her emerald eyes shone, the magic from the ring coursing deep into her psyche.

"My Ana--please--deliver this to Stolzer--for me." Eisener then reached for his trusted hammer and rose it high overhead. With one final blow to the shield, he collapsed. His eyes dulled and stared blankly into the distance.

She screamed in agony. The sight of her only family caused her to panic and she shook him almost violently, her body being overcome with despair.

Rena and Gelehrter burst into the room. The squire took her to the kitchen while Rena readied a prayer.

On the eve of Stolzer's funeral, Eisener accompanied him. The procession began in the Citadel, both caskets carried by various knights.

A pair of eagles soared over the congregation. They cried in unison, taking their place onto each casket respectively. Several Justicar eyed the magnificent birds, but they kept their composure. The skies were dotted with clouds and the warm air pushed the procession along. Every citizen of Sanctuary bowed their heads as they passed, their journey taking them far into the Western District. The breweries and vineyards which dotted the landscape gave way to the crashing waves of the ocean. Its sparkling surface seemed to welcome them. The knights slowly lowered the caskets near the water's edge and aligned themselves alongside each coffin.

Ovelia led the congregation, delivering the eulogy for the pair.

"Thank you everyone who is attending. My greatest regret of my station is that I cannot be prepared to give ceremonies or attend all festivities. I am however, able to give the Justicar and his friend, the mighty Eisener, their final dues tonight. I knew of Stolzer when he was a boy. I was a young girl then as well and we had trained together. When it was time for sparring, I often chose him to be my partner, though I beat him each time. Our duels would carry on for what seemed to be years and he learned quickly. When he was taken to be a squire, I too had ascended to another role entirely: Sanguine Overlord. He knew of me before my time as ruler and for his humility and genuine kindness, I am grateful. He touched many lives during his time as Justicar, a rank I give to those who prove themselves loyal to me. They are my spear and he was powerful in his own right.

Eisener, the legendary craftsman, was the loyal friend of Stolzer Ritter. He was a man who proved himself to be capable during all times of the year, producing the finest weapons and armor for our troops. Above all else, he valued the health of his friends, especially for Stolzer, and invited even welcomed myself into his home. I broke bread with him and I was too late to watch him shape his final gift for his friend. This shield is the embodiment of his ideals and is his finest work. May the two of them enjoy the afterlife." The Sanguine Overlord raised her arms and lowered her head, silently praying. The wind gently caressed them in the silence, as if to soothe their worries. In unison the coffins were opened to allow for gifts. Dwarves, Elves and other races solemnly strode forward to place various offerings. Herbs, spices, wines, beer, and dried foods were placed inside.

Others approached the podium and gave their eulogy. Ana refused however and clutched the shield Eisener wrought. When the coffins were closed, she relinquished the shield. With a few arcane words, what little she knew, the metallic surface sprouted like roots and attached themselves to the surface.

"May the Lord bless your kind hearts. Amen."

"Amen." The crowd echoed her in unison.

Gelehrter, Rena and all the knights unsheathed their blades, holding them aloft to salute their final journey into the beyond. With a massive wave they were taken into the deep sea.