Ascend

Months had passed.

Gelehrter stared at the water in dismay. The pools of reflection only showed a boy with golden hair and dark eyes, his imagination constructing Stolzer near him whistling a tune. Rena, Ana and Eisener all talked at length of their experience, but any attempt to reach the young page were met with failure. Apathy had taken the boy, his sadness engulfing him like a lover. His pole had danced and the hook was stripped clean. He seemed to only be met with more failure. In his mind, any failure was blamed on his own incompetence: Stolzer's mission, his state, his loss of bait, everything. He even cursed his body for its inexperience.

"Lad, you must listen now." Eisener spoke, his voice finally destroying the barrier. "Our friend is recovering as best he can. We cannot allow our own feelings to take us. I have lost many in my lifetime, long as it is."

Ana smiled at him sadly. "I too have lost, but I still keep going."

"So have I. I've lost my family when I was very young." Rena chimed in and pulled in another fish.

"B-But...Stolzer is my master!" Gelehrter attempted in vain to choke tears from his eyes. "If I were stronger, I would be able to help him. He is all I have!"

"Ah, but you are hungry. I know it, I can see it in your face!" Eisener laughed heartily, taking the fishing supplies with him. The lake had been engulfed in twilight, the night settling in over the horizon. In the distance the walls now were illuminated by the ominous red lights which watched over them as they ventured from their destination to Eisener's smithy. The walk was filled with laughter and talk of the future.

"You know, I am here to help you, Gelehrter." Rena beamed at him as they passed through the forge. The air of soot and dust tickled his nostrils and he sneezed. He set the basket, the rods and their bait aside. Rena worked to prepare the fish while Eisener tended to the fire.

Ana and Gelehrter were left to aid in whatever way they could. The page and apprentice both took to their respective masters.

"How can you help me?" Gelehrter's inquisitive gaze was met with scorn.

"I am just as sad as you are, yet you are letting it take you because you are a child!" Rena growled. "I want nothing more than to see him walk through that door whole and hale again, but there is naught we can do but hope!"

She stormed from the kitchen, leaving Gelehrter to stare at the mangled fish. Ana sighed and handed him a knife.

"Help me...follow what I do." The smith's apprentice worked feverishly to clean and gut the fish, placing the organs and other bits into a bowl. He attempted to mimic her.

After a spell Rena opened the door and Ovelia now strode inside. She took one long gaze at the room and rolled up her sleeves. Another little girl followed her, her pink hair demanding their attention.

"This is Arden, now stop staring and keep working." The Sanguine Overlord growled. "Arden, honey, please sit in your chair and behave."

The little girl giggled and played with her doll. She struggled to maintain the cleanliness of her red silk dress. Everyone in the room labored to fix the meal and when it was finished, they all prepared plates for one another.

"What brings the ruler of all Sanctuary to my home at this time of night?" Eisener finally asked, his meal devoured. "You must be very busy."

"Ah, but I am Stolzer's superior and I am here on business." Ovelia wiped her mouth with a spare cloth and then proceeded to wipe Arden's with another rag. "Stolzer is awake. He seems more compelled to speak, but wanted to wait until the morning."