The North

The road to the North was treacherous. Many wouldn't dare to brave the mountain trail during the winter solstice. The cliffs would freeze over and avalanches were common.

Denizens of Sanctuary greeted them as they passed. Often they were stopped for small talk, the bustle of the city dying as the light had been swallowed by the mountains.

Rena, Gelehrter and Arden had stopped near the northern reaches of the Market District for supplies. No other stall was open, as the last of the merchants had retired for the night. The shop was immense and most of the supplies consisted of weapons, bags of oats, rice, dried meats, fruits and vegetables. They asked for traveling cloaks, horses, and dry foodstuffs for the trip. Arden and Gelehrter worked hastily to prepare the horses.

The merchant eyed their mannerisms closely. "Must be official business. No one is dumb enough to cross the mountain pass this time of year."

"Aye. Pray for us, will you?" Rena beamed, though the thought of being buried in snow disturbed her.

"Well...I have some information if you're interested." He rested his hands on the counter. Arden and Gelehrter cataloged their supplies and cross referenced their notes. "The North has had some problems with their defense matrix. At night there are vampires and other ilk running amok up there. The snowfall has been especially bad so no messenger has been able to get out much. Its been hushed though. I'm the only one who knows, see?"

Rena glowered at him dubiously. "Information like that is certainly cause for alarm. Why has no one reported to the Templarate?"

"People don't trust them. They're on the Council's payroll. Justicar aren't around much, see? They're much tougher to get a hold of and don't accept bribes." The vendor reached under the counter and placed a dagger onto it. The weapon seemed to seethe at his touch, the wood around it blackening. "Someone snatched this from one of the vampires. Its a strange thing, isn't it? One of my boys brought it to me."

"Your boys?"

"Aye. I have a few guards who watch over me, see? Especially during transactions." The merchant murmured as he slipped the dagger into a leather bag and extended it to her. "A gift. I charge triple to vampires...the others get fair price. That is just between you and me, see?"

Rena appeared to disregard his whispering. She reached for her coin pouch and placed it onto the counter. "Will this be enough for your goods, sir?"

He raised his palms and shook his head. "I cannot take money from the Overlord, whether it is from her soldiers or otherwise. Strict policy. The Templarate have to pay still."

"It was good doing business, sir." Rena turned from them and waved to her young wards. "We will depart through until dusk. Please ensure our safety."

"Aye." The merchant replied and waved to the figures overhead. They had stationed themselves around the premises on the rooftops, bows readily drawn. As the signal was recognized, the men disappeared.

The company leaped onto their horses, taking to a trot. For some time the only sound was hooves against stone. The Market District had been laid with cobblestone and it had shown signs of weathering from millions of travelers or bazaar browsers. Wind from the north gently caressed them, their cloaks providing little comfort.

Around them silhouettes of the merchant's men could be seen following them. Grunts and other sounds of struggle were echoed in the distance. Arden grimaced and clutched her cloak uneasily.

Gelehrter focused on the road ahead, but his hand rested on the pommel of his sword. They are skilled for sellswords. If I was not wise, I would have assumed they were Justicar.