twelve

Kehlani's POV:

I opened my eyes the next day and squinted from the incoming daylight. My head was pounding and I groaned at the feeling as I blinked a few times and looked over to see an unfamiliar room.

My eyes widened a bit once I realized I wasn't in my bedroom and I quickly sat up, earning a dizzy spell. "Oh fuck." I held my hand to my head and laid back down.

What the fuck did I get myself into last night? I reached to my side and grabbed my purse, pulling out my phone and scrolling through my Instagram feed. As I scrolled I came across a video of me doing some stripper moves while dancing on the dining room table. "Oh my god." I brought my hand to my face, feeling extremely embarrassed of my actions from the night before.

The door opened and I looked up quickly, slightly hiding under the blanket. Who knows what strangers house I ended up at while I was incoherent?

I peeked up slightly from the blanket and saw a familiar mop of curls, I let out a sigh of relief and put the blanket down. "Thank fuck it's just you."

"Who else would it be?" He chuckled nervously.

"Who knows, I was pretty fucked up last night." I said with a soft laugh.

"So...you don't remember anything from last night?" He asked.

"Well, I remember going to dance, but I don't remember dancing on a table." I laughed. "So embarrassing."

"Not embarrassing. The people loved you." He sat at the end of the bed.

"Still embarrassing though, I don't want people to see me like that." I ran a hand through my hair. He shrugged and began to roll a backwood. "W-we didn't uh...do anything, r-right?"

He shook his head. "No. I just brought you back home because you passed out on the couch at the party, and I figured your mom wouldn't be happy if I brought you home like that. I slept in the guest room here."

I nodded softly and laid on my side.

"Want to get something to eat?" He asked.

~

He  took me to a small diner on the other side of town. We walked in and it had a 50's, pinup sort of vibe. I smiled at the inviting atmosphere. The entire place was decorated with pictures of old cars, along with the restaurant's exterior throughout the years. The black and white tiled floors made me a bit dizzy to look at, so I kept my head up.

"I've never been on this side of town before." I giggled softly. 

He looked over at me and smiled, "I forget that you're not from around here." I blushed a bit. "Maybe I could show you around?"

"I'd love that actually."

We walked up to the counter and ordered our meals. He paid, even though I insisted I pay for myself repeatedly. We walked over to a high top table with red cushioned stools and an image of Elvis Presley hung on the wall beside it. I sat as he took his place across from me.

"I'm sorry if I did anything stupid last night, I had a bit too much." I trailed off.

He shook his head. "It's okay, really."

"I don't know you just seem kind of bothered."

He stayed silent and glanced around the restaurant, not meeting my eyes.

I sighed. "See, you were being all sweet and inviting before and now I'm getting the cold shoulder."

He, yet again, didn't say a word.

"What the fuck is wrong?" I said getting irritated.

"Just stop talking, Kehlani." He grumbled.

"Why? What did I do?" I questioned.

"Just- stop talking." He raised his voice a bit.

"No. Tell me what's going on."

He stood up and grabbed his keys off of the table, "What's happening is I'm taking you home." He walked out of the restaurant leaving me confused as hell. I threw my hands up in the air and reluctantly followed.

I stomped behind him to his car and got into the passengers side. He sat in the drivers seat and started it up, beginning to drive home as I crossed my arms and looked out of the window at the buildings that decorated the sidewalks of the downtown area.

I was mad, confused, aggravated, and most of all; hurt. I thought that maybe we were warming up to each other.

I liked him. I really liked him. And I didn't even want to like him anymore. Having feelings for him is like sticking your hand into the snow until it turns blue, then into a boiling pot of water. It's warm, but it's do painful. He's so hot and cold.

After a while we pulled up to my house and I heard him let out a heavy sigh. I sat there for a moment, staring blankly at him and waiting for him to say something and explain what was going through his mind.

But he never said a damn word.

I felt a pang in my chest and opened the car door, getting out and closing it behind me without thanking him for a ride home. Right as I reached my driveway I heard his engine disappear down the road and out of sight.

The driveway was empty, and nobody was home. I sighed and dragged myself up to my room, my head was still pounding. I grabbed my ibuprofen from my dresser and took two with water, then flopped down on my bed to wait for them to take affect.

I felt a tear roll out of the side of my eye, and I didn't realize I was crying until I was curled up into a ball, letting my tear drops soak the side of my pillow.

My phone began to vibrate on my side table and I flipped over to see who it was. Landon.

Fuck.

I took a few deep breaths to calm my breathing, and wiped my eyes viciously to dry the tears before answering the FaceTime call.

His smiling face popped up on the screen as I propped my phone on my nightstand, sitting criss cross on my bed.

"Hey!" He exclaimed.

"H-hey." I replied quietly, picking at my acrylic nails.

He furrowed his brows, "You doing alright, love?"

"Uh, yeah. I'm fine, why?" I questioned.

"Well last night you were pretty trashed so I called to see how your hangover was doing." He said, I smiled softly as I looked down at my lap. He really is an amazing friend. "And now I can see it looks like you've been crying...is something going on?"

"N-no I was just tearing up a little because my head is killing me." I lied. "I'm a baby when it comes to that stuff." I let out a false laugh.

"Oh okay....hey, is it okay if I come by today? We can order some food, watch movies, and get over this hangover together." He suggested.

I smiled at the camera. "Yes please."

He flashed his signature smile, "Okay I'll be over in 30. I'm going to shower quick I'll let you know when I'm on my way to you."

"Okay, Landon. See you then" I said softly.

"See you then, shorty."

He ended the call and I flopped back down on my bed, drowning in my emotions once again.