school dances, 1 of a million

an: sorry i didn't update the other day, my life has been cramped and overcome with homework and fortnite but ayyy On My Block got renewed! so that's dope

-

I hated these crowded halls. The slow walkers, the couples that eat each other's faces off one another, the distinct smell of booze and weed.

I clutched onto my backpack straps and proceeded my way down the hall. That was until I felt a hand grab my arm and pull me into an empty classroom.

"What the hell?! Don't roll up on me like that," I crossed my arms, clearly annoyed.

"Come here, I just wanna talk." Cesar bit his lip and smiled before pulling me to him by my waist.

"Stop, we can't keep doing this," I fought against him, placing my hands on his chest. He pressed his forehead against mine in response, forcing each other to gaze into each other's eyes.

I scoffed, "I hate you," before seeing his head slowly tilt and lean forward, capturing me in a kiss.

cafeteria

"You wanna go to the dance?" Monse asked me while we waited in the lunch line.

"There's a dance? When?" no one told me about a dance.

"Tonight. It's a school dance, they talked about it over the loud speaker this morning."

"Oh, this morning. Sure, we should go. Right?"

"I don't know if I'm up for it. Dances are lame," Monse shook her head. "It's just gonna be like every other dance I've already been to."

"But this is high school! An opp for reinvention." I quoted from Ruby.

"I'll think about it."

"Hey, so are you and Cesar cool?" I asked Monse as we walked over to where we normally sit.

"I guess. We talked like someday last week. I'm cool if he's cool. I was really mad but, what's done is done. At the time I thought I'd never get over it, but high school only lasts so long. I just don't wanna spend the next four years holding a grudge against Cesar when he meant well, ya know?" she looked over at me and smiled while we neared the lunch table.

Just as we placed our trays on the table, so did the boys and we all sat down.

monse's house

Monse twirled in her yellow dress, looking in the mirror and grunted. "I hate it." She kept it blunt and looked at me for my opinion.

"No it's cute! I like it," I smiled at her, seeing her little cheeks redden.

She sat next to me on her bed and laid there. "What are you wearing?" she asked me. I reached into my bag and pulled out denim festival shorts and a ribbed lettuce edge trimmed black off the shoulder crop top to pair with.

"Do you have any shoes?" I asked as I pushed myself off her bed, in search for some high tops.

"In my closet."

I peered into her closet and grabbed the first box I could find. I turned around to face her and opened it. I looked at the insides, puzzled. There were no shoes, but replaced with old photographs and a child monkey toy.

"Monse, I—" I began but I was cut off by Monse rushing to me and pulling the box from my hands. She closed the box and put it back to where it was found. She turned around to face me and grabbed my arm to sit me down on her bed.

"Those are the last things I have of my mom. She left when I was two," she explained to me. "But this is turning into a sad fest so, get dressed!" she pulled me up with her and nudged my shoulder, trying to act excited, although deep down I could tell she wasn't. I didn't want to push her boundaries so I did as told.

school

Oh, we started
Two hearts in one home
It's hard when we argue
We're both stubborn
I know, but oh
Sweet creature, sweet creature
Wherever I go, you bring me home
Sweet creature, sweet creature
When I run out of road, you bring me home

"Hey!" Ruby screamed to Monse and I over the music.

"Hey! Have you seen Cesar tonight?" Monse yelled back.

"Nope, not even sure if he's coming."

"You guys cool with Cesar right?" I asked.

"Yeah. It was just a rumor, right Monse?" Jamal chimed.

"Yeah, a rumor," Monse looked off into the distance, probably in search of Cesar.

"Hey! Do you wanna dance?" I yelled over the music once the song changed. She nodded back.

later the night

"Hey, I'm gonna get a fill. You want one?" Monse asked me about a drink.

"Mhm," I nodded to her and smiled. I watched her leave and looked around the gym for anyone I knew and could talk to. I haven't seen Ruby nor Jamal since Monse and I got here. Cesar was no where in my sight.

"Here," she handed me a drink. I smiled in a thanks.

"Bathroom?"

I nodded in response and followed the curly haired girl to the restroom.

"God, it's so quiet in here," Monse sighed relieved. The music was almost inaudible from here.

"Yeah, pretty nice." I looked in the mirror and noticed how much of a mess I was. "Ay dios mío,"
I said trying to fix my tangled hair.

"Here," Monse grabbed my hand and put it down. She let her fingers run through my hair, the knots vanishing. She instantly smiled once she finished and I thanked her. I heard a familiar beep sound coming from my phone and took it out.

"Sorry, hold on," I looked down at my phone.

Ruby: Where the hell are you??Cesar is grilling the hell out of me
Mariana: In the bathroom god hold on
Ruby: Monse too?
Mariana: Yes
Mariana: Tell him we'll be out soon

I turned my screen off. I met her gaze and saw Monse's eyes slowly flicker from my eyes to my lips, back again, and then up to my eyes again. My breath hitched as I felt her hand caress the side of my cheek. She leaned in close until I felt our noses touch. My heart was driving wild. My whole body tensed as I tried to understand what was happening and put two and two together.

"M—Monse." I bit my lip softly, looking into her deep brown, lost eyes.

Anticipated, she slowly tilted her head and leaned forward, captivating me in a gentle kiss. My arms subconsciously wrapped themselves around her neck, pulling her in closer as if we weren't close enough already. My heart threw itself against my chest with such velocity, Monse could probably feel it beat against her own chest. And I could barely yet think. We kept our lips interlocked and refused otherwise until we were left entirely short of breath.

We pulled apart, static tingling. I couldn't get a good breath in and felt my stomach become a steep pit of nerves. I didn't have time to think, my mind thought that one out for itself. I leaned in and gave her a quick kiss once more. Our cheeks both cherry red.

-

an: do u ship monse+mari or cesar+mari!!! lmk