football issues

"Why are we in the middle of a freaking heatwave?" I asked to no one in particular whilst fanning myself with a notebook. I didn't even want to eat the lunch anymore.

"How are we supposed to know?" Monse bitterly spited, picking around at her food. 

"It was rhetorical," I spat back.

Cesar threw his fork down at the table and hit his elbows on the table and balled his hands together. "What's wrong with you two?"

"Nothing," we both said, trying to avoid further questions with the topic.

"You've both been so hateful to each other," he continued which made me snap. Without a word, I picked my tray up and left, not listening to what else he had to say. Once inside, I threw my lunch away and put the tray back. I didn't know where to go, there was still about twenty minutes left of lunch.

"Hey Mariana!" I heard a familiar voice call after me. I stopped walking and turned around to meet faces with Jasmine.

"Hey girl! So I'm having like a party this weekend. I would've sent you a text but you know I don't have your number so."

"Yeah, go on."

"Oh right, so do you wanna come? The rest of your crew said they're available to go. Well, except for Ruby, he hasn't been answering my texts. Oh, can you tell him to— Oh actually, I see him. I'll just ask him myself. Oh and text me later!" she blurted all out at once without waiting for my reply and turning around and running towards, I'd assume, Ruby.

I let out a sigh, knowing I didn't want to go to any party. I sat at the bottom of the staircase and took my phone out.

32 missed calls from Cesar

I sighed once more and cleared my recent call history. I swiped down on my notification bar.

Cesar: are u mad
Cesar: hello
Cesar: Are u mad
Cesar: where are u
Cesar: mari
Cesar: i'm sorry if i made u upset

I rolled my eyes but was warmed with his consistent efforts.

Mariana: I'm not mad

That was a lie.

Cesar: where are u
Mariana: the bathroom
Cesar: that's a lie i found u

As I read the words, I felt someone sit next to me.

"You're mad," Cesar confirmed for me.

I exhaled, "Kinda."

"Sorry for uh— continuing to push you about Monse."

"It's whatever."

He grabbed my face to face his and forcefully kissed me.

"Mmph," I tried to push his face off as his lips trailed down to my neck. "The bells gonna ring any minute."

"Then let it ring," he mumbled against my skin.

later that day; after school

"I need help," Jamal said to us while we were walking home.

"When do you not?" Ruby said back.

"Correct, but I have a big big problem."