i. why do you bother me, freddy fernandez?

SEPTEMBER 1984

THE TIME had been around seven or eight o'clock when Kathleen Martin returns to one of the poorest and utterly disgusting apartment complexes in the Valley. But I mean hey, at least it was some place to live.

She swerves her red, rusty bike swiftly into the parking lot, her feet pedaling so fast — almost at the same speed her heart was racing — and is relieved when she sees her father's truck gone.

She had hoped he bought the disguise of her still being in bed, when in reality it was just a bunch of stuffed pillows underneath a blanket.

It's a clever trick her one of older brothers, Danny, who likes to go by Ace, taught her when she was little.

It always takes Kat a lot of God-given courage just to walk past her passed out father and out of the apartment.

    Even if she wanted to step out just for a minute, she was afraid that at any minute, he would wake up and catch her standing outside of the door.

The morning sun's happy golden rays tickle the back of Kat's neck as she rounds the corner to the front gate of the complex.

    Her eyes narrow as she glides through the settle wind that causes her ease her shoulders down and breathe. It feels good, giving her relief to finally just.. relax.

    She had been tense all, early morning it felt like.

The bottom of her tattered sneaker stops her from rolling past the big wooden gate that's impossible to miss.

With a hand on one of the handle bars, Kat slips off her bike and walks towards the entrance. She finally gets a little bit of shade from the towering building, and it feels alright.

    An idea pops up into her head as she eyes the door, and with that idea in mind, she smirks. Her head turns side to side, seeing if anyone is around, watching her. Then she brings her right leg up and kicks the gate with such powerful force. 

    It flings wide open, revealing what is on the other side; a very familiar scene to Kat.

The old, crazy lady from apartment 11 sitting in her chair (underneath is the same old dog that follows her around) in the same old spot with the same old half deck of playing cards in her hands.

However, the woman doesn't seem to notice Kat. It's not like Kat minds. She'd rather it be that way.

"I seen your father and brother walk out just a few minutes ago." The woman says as Kat approaches her. "Apartment nineteen, correct?"

"Yes..." Kat says in reply, giving the lady a suspicious look. Why would she tell her this? After all summer with the same routine and speaking no words to each other, why now?

"Why-why are you telling me this?" Kat asks, speaking her mind. The lady chuckles wryly.

"Just thought you would like to know. If you couldn't find them inside."

"Oh, I know they're out," Kat shrugs with a frown, "they always are."

The woman keeps quiet, shuffling through her half deck of cards while shifting in the old chair and making it squeak.