xxv. no mercy

xxv. no mercy
    (long chapter ahead, i apologize)

"HEY GOOD MORNING Mr. Miyagi."

As planned, Daniel meets Mr. Miyagi in the back lot of the complex a little bit before 10 o'clock that morning.

    He had given his mother a kiss on the cheek before he left the apartment, saying that he and Mr. Miyagi had an errand to run. Lucille was a bit proud that her son was getting out and about, even if he wasn't hanging out with someone his age.

   Mr. Miyagi had stepped out of the shack and into the daylight when Daniel came around the corner.

   "Ah, good morning Daniel-san." He greets with a kind smile. He looks Daniel up and down. "Feel better?"

"I'm a little sore but I'm doing alright." Daniel laughs as he rotates his arm a little and winces when feeling the pain kick in his stomach. Mr. Miyagi nods.

   "Good to hear. Know how to dr—"

   A loud, sick sounding car motor cuts Mr. Miyagi off from finishing his sentence, and he and Daniel turn to see what the commotion was about.

They both watch as a 1960 something Ford F100 speeds through the back gate and into the parking lot. Daniel continues to watch attentively, while Mr. Miyagi shakes his head in disappointment.

   "Too loud." He mumbles to himself.

   The engine cuts off as soon as the truck drives into a spot. They hear the door open and close in a short span of time.

Then Kat comes running from the truck, appearing to be in a hurry. She goes to the gate right by the doors of the shack, about to open it until she sees Daniel and Mr. Miyagi.

"Ah, Kathleen-san, you just in time." Mr. Miyagi bows a little and Kat furrows her brows, breathing heavily. She takes a few steps back.

   "In-in time?" She asks, trying to catch her breath. She shakes her head and places her hands on her hips. "Did we— did we agree to train this morning?"

    Mr. Miyagi chuckles and Daniel whips his head around, lost. Train? Train for what?

   "Come join." Mr. Miyagi insists, avoiding Kat's question. Again, the girl shakes her head no.

   "Mr. Miyagi, I-I can't," she stutters, worried about if her dad found out she was gone, "my dad—"

   "Come, Kathleen-san." Mr. Miyagi tries again. Kat doesn't see why it's so urgent for her to join. "I will take blame."

Kat looks at her mentor, then over to her neighbor, who had been looking away. She drops her tensed up shoulders and takes in a deep breath before nodding.

"It's okay, Mr. Miyagi. I guess I'll come." She says with a half smile. A little adventure never hurted anyone, right?

"But Daniel's driving."

————

   Johnny arrives at the dojo a little bit before class starts. He opens the door and spots his gang standing around, conversing about something quietly. They turn their heads as Johnny walks in.

   Bobby says something to the group before moving towards Johnny with a concerning look on his face.

   "Hey, Johnny," he says, approaching him, "how you doin'?"

    Johnny lowers his eyebrows; this rarely ever happens. "I'm alright. How bout you?"

   "I'm doin' good." Bobby replies. He lays a hand on his friend's shoulder and leads him over to the mat where the rest of their friends are. "Say, uh, the guys and I were wondering if you and Kat.. you know.."