ix. the fool

ix. the fool

"SHIT, SHIT, shit, shit!" Kat chants over and over again, getting up from the bleachers. She hurriedly makes her way down towards the bottom and without thinking, grabs the rail and jumps off. She lands on to her feet and takes off running.

"Hey! Hey!" One of the coaches gruffly yells, watching her run. "You can't be on the field! Hey!"

She ignores him, feeling all rebellious and anxious inside while doing so. She glances over to where Johnny is, noticing that he's about to turn away, though, still making gestures over to his friends.

And all of a sudden, she has an idea.

Before the blond can turn away, Kat runs up to him, nearly bumping into his body as he moves.

"Kat?"

Johnny is all of a sudden taken when seeing that it's the small brunette that he had bumped into. He immediately notices her eye, and his expression suddenly changes.

"Oh my god, your eye—"

"Oh, hey Johnny," she says causally, though so nervous on the inside, "Sorry I.. I didn't see you there."

    "Are you okay?" He asks, sounding concerned. "That looks like it hurts." Kat feels her cheeks blush.

"Nah," she waves it off, "it looks like a piece of art done by one of your gang members, doesn't it?"

Johnny sighs and runs a hand over his face, beginning to feel ashamed and guilty.

"I'm sorry about him." He exhales, looking apologetic. "He told me that he meant to hit that.. new kid. What's his name? Whatever it is, I really don't care. I'm just sorry about your eye."

"Daniel."

"Huh?"

"Daniel," Kat repeats. "That's his name." Johnny nods a little to himself while looking away.

"Huh." He replies, not really knowing what else to say. He glances back down at Kat and his facial expression softens. "You and Ali don't talk anymore, do you?"

"Are you kidding me?" Kat scoffs. "No."

"Good." Johnny mumbles, placing his hands on his hips. He continues to stare at Kat until one of the coaches' whistles blows.

"Johnny Lawrence," the coach says, approaching the two. Kat glances over to see the man walk at a fast speed towards them. "What the hell do you think you're doing?"

"Coach Langford—"

"I don't wanna hear it." The coach interrupts Johnny, holding his hand up. Then he points over to where the rest of the boys were. "You get your butt over there and show those freshmen what this team is made of."

"Yes sir," Johnny gulps. His eyes flicker back at Kat, "it was nice talking to you, Kat." He gives her a wink and then he runs off. Kat can feel herself melt.

"As for you, young lady," Coach L says, pausing to take a hold on Kat's arm, "I'll make sure you get a nice, two week's detention..."