xix. stepdad of the century

"YOU LOOK good, you're hot, you're stunning."

Fast forward to that Saturday, Johnny Lawrence stands in front of his dirty, full length mirror. He turns from side to side, viewing himself up and down as he alternates from each foot.

He's picked out an outfit that seems perfect, yet simple, for a dinner with the Martin's. A simple light, faded blue collared button up, tucked into some khaki trousers with a brown belt.

He's combed his hair anxiously to the point where it feels as soft as a cloud and can't help but feel shaky and jittery inside. In fact, he takes a moment just to shake off his nervousness, and take in a deep breath.

"Hello Mr. Martin, it's nice to meet you." Johnny says to himself in the mirror, then pausing to grin. He instantly frowns and shakes his head. "Jesus."

He takes one last look at himself in the mirror, and also one last deep breath, before grabbing his jacket off of his desk chair. Then he quickly heads down the stairs.

    "Oh, there you are Johnny!" Johnny looks to see his mother, Laura, at the bottom of the staircase. She smiles a little when seeing her only son. "I've been calling you."

    "Oh, sorry mom." Johnny says, and Laura takes notice of his outfit. She looks at him up and down and cocks her head to the side.

    "It's alright," she replies, "where are you going all dressed up?" Johnny chuckles and throws his arms up.

    "I have a date." He says proudly with a dazzling grin. Laura raises her eyebrows as she widens her smile, and opens her mouth to say something until she's cut off by another voice.

    "Psh, yeah right."

    Johnny and his mother turn their attention towards the dining room, where an older gentleman, who goes by Sid, sits. His hands are clasped upon the table and he seems upset. Laura's smile quickly fades away.

    "Didn't you just get your ass dumped by.. uh, what's her name. Alice?" He continues. Johnny can feel his heart sink down into his chest.

    "Sid!" Laura exclaims, obviously upset that he'd say such a thing. Sid raises his shoulders with a surprised look.

    "I'm just saying, Laura, he just got dumped and now he's going on dates? Next thing you know he's gonna make one little bitty mistake and come home with a grandchild."

    "Sid, seriously!" Laura shouts. "Don't you ever talk about my son like that. Johnny's a responsible boy, he knows better than that!"

    "Are we forgetting that time he came home wasted, Laura? Because I'm not! He could've caused some serious damage to that damn expensive bike I bought him if he didn't have those 'friends' of his!"

   "Her name's Ali, by the way. Not Alice." Johnny speaks up, feeling the anger inside him boil. He looks at his mother. "I'm gonna go. I'm taking the car."

    He looks at Sid one last time with angry eyes and turns to leave. He can feel his mother and his stepfather staring at him as he walks towards the door.

    Before leaving, he picks up the car keys that are on the table by the front door. Then he slips outside.

    Johnny walks along the little brick pathway towards the driveway. He slings his jacket over his shoulder and takes in another deep breath.

    "Hello Mr. Martin, it's nice to meet you." He says quietly. He opens the car door and slides inside, shutting the door behind him.

His eyes look into the rearview mirror and he adjusts it to see more of himself.