v. party crashers

v. party crashers

   KATHLEEN FINDS herself stuck in the same position that same night — on the mountainous rocks with her sketchbook in hand. She sketches a soccer ball bouncing in the air on the rough paper.

    Her sandwich is now gone, and she had fed the left over crumbs to the seagulls who taunted her as she ate. All she has left is an empty coke can.

   She drew many different sketches throughout the day, all that seemed unsuccessful. Except for the one she's focused on at the moment.

It's of a skinny boy wearing a light-shaded tank top and short shorts, bouncing a soccer ball on his knees.

    The sun was setting, and the sky hadn't gotten too dark where she couldn't see the paper down in front of her. There's a cool breeze that feels good in Kat's hair — it feels refreshing.

    The strong smell of bonfire smoke trails over towards her spot and tickles right underneath her nose. This causes her to wheeze and have a coughing fit. So much for feeling refreshed.

    Her nose crinkles up and her eyes squint while her hand tried wafting the smell away. But it's no use, how much of a difference was her hand really going to make?

   She glances over at the small party, spotting Daniel over by the fire with Freddy, Alan and Chuckie. He's crouched down on the sandy ground, now wearing a red sweatshirt and roasting a weenie.

   The longer she stares at the boy, the more she contemplates going over to him and saying a simple "hello."

    However, doing that wouldn't be so simple — she'd have to walk past Ali and her group of friends in order to do so. And boy would that take a lot of courage and confidence.

    Now you're probably wondering, why does Kat despise Ali so much? What was it that happened between the two that made them lose their friendship?

    Well it isn't just because Ali is "too sweet" for Kat's taste. It's something much, much more. And we'll get to that eventually.

    Now Kathleen's pencil is tracing over the boy's dark eyes. She tries her best to make them seem as dark as they are in real life.

    Quickly, her eyes flicker over towards Daniel again — no, she can't see his eyes from such a distance, but she doesn't have to. She had taken in every little detail of them when they first met.

    Those baby browns.

    "HEY DANNY, hey Danny–"

"What man! What?" Daniel asks, not bothering to look at Freddy as he continues to bug him.

"I think the blonde's lookin' over here at ya." He smirks and Daniel shakes his head.

     "Yeah, sure." He replies sarcastically, though partially hoping it'd be true.

"I'm being serious I think she has the–" Freddy stops and narrows his eyes over past the group of girls, seeing something move on the rocks from far away.