xxi. a ghost and a shower

OCTOBER 1984

"OH, DANIEL-SAN. Happy Halloween, you like?"

    Daniel turns away from the bonsai trees by the window to see Mr. Miyagi with a Jack o' Lantern in his hands. He smiles and nods.

    "Yeah, that's nice."

    A little over a month has passed since our last chapter took place, and not a lot has happened since.

Ali and Daniel still aren't on speaking terms, for some unknown reason that keeps Daniel up at night, and all is well with our sweet Kat and Johnny.

    Daniel and Kat are on good terms, and only really talk in the afternoons after school at the apartment complex. A place where both of them don't fear that their love interest will intrude on them.

   They'll usually hang in Mr. Miyagi's handy shack, helping him trim the bonsai trees or just having a conversation over a few cans of Coke and Sprite.

   "Passed school today," Mr. Miyagi says, moving over to the table where other carved pumpkins sit, "lots happening."

    "Yeah." Daniel replies a little unenthusiastically.

    "What's the matter? You not going?"

"Nah."

"How come?"

    "I'm not into dancing that much," the teenager shrugs and walks behind Miyagi. He reaches into the mini fridge, "I don't feel like it anyways."

Suddenly, Kat comes through the screen door, startling Daniel and Mr. Miyagi. She flashes them a smile and runs a hand through her hair, exhausted.

"Daniel, toss me a Coke will you?" She asks, then looks at the pumpkins on the table. "Nice Jack o' Lanterns, Mr. Miyagi."

"Ah, Kathleen-san. Why not at work?"

"Yeah, I thought you were working tonight." Daniel comments, tossing a Coke her way. She catches it and shakes her head no.

"Estelle gave me the night off, said I've been doing a good job." Kat pauses to crack the can open and take a large gulp or two.

    She wipes her mouth off with the sleeve of her jacket before saying: "Besides, it's Halloween. I can't miss my favorite holiday."

    "Surprised you aren't with Johnny." Daniel mumbles. However, Kat could hear him loud and clear.

    "He's at the dojo, for your information."

"So you go to dance?" Mr. Miyagi questions. He strikes a match and reaches into one of the three pumpkins. Kat scoffs.

"Probably not. I don't have a costume."

"You and Johnny don't have a couples costume prepared?" Daniel says, seeming a little bit bothered. Kat shoots him a look.

"No." She says coldly, then adding: "I didn't know I'd get the night off. Besides, those are lame."

"What's he going as?"