xiii. dine & dash

xiii. dine & dash

    "ARE YOU sure you don't want me to take you to work?" Johnny asks, bouncing on his toes. He wears an eager smile, hoping for the girl to say yes.

    "No, I'm sure," Kat answers quickly, "thank you, though." And she turns to leave.

    "Hey, wait." Johnny stops her and stands up from his bike. Kat turns around and sees a hurtful expression on his face. "Where are you going?"

    The girl stifles a chuckle, then hesitates to answer when she spots Bobby and Tommy giggling behind Johnny like a couple of girls.

    "Work?"

    "With-without.. y'know?" Johnny feels his cheeks burn with embarrassment. He had never done this in front of his friends when dating Ali, and being in a new relationship with Kathleen, he isn't sure what to do.

    Kat feels stuck to the ground. She chuckles dryly. Of course she had to do this sometime. It's too late to come up with an excuse, anyways. She's already late for her shift.

    "Right." She responds, walking back over to him in a hurry. She quickly gives him a peck on the cheek and an awkward pat on the shoulder before leaving.

    Johnny, Tommy and Bobby watch as she moves over to her rusting bike. Johnny sits back on his bike and fumbles with his fingers.

    "You two love birds having problems, Johnny?" Tommy snickers, earning a punch and a dirty look from Bobby. Johnny shakes his head.

     "What do you know, Tommy?"

     "Say, how did you end up with Kat Martin, anyways?" Bobby questions, growing curious.

     "I don't know," Johnny answers, "I mean, I've wanted to for awhile."

Tommy stifles a laugh and Bobby punches his side again. Johnny turns around to face them both.

    "What's so funny?"

    "N-Nothing, nothing." Tommy groans in pain. He winces as he sits down upon his bike. "I just thought that she was with that new loser wimp kid."

    "Yeah, aren't they both from Reseda?" Bobby asks. Johnny scoffs and grabs his helmet.

    "So what?"

    "So what?" Bobby says with a surprised look. "I mean, you lost Ali Mills. And now you're going out with a chick from Reseda."

    "Yeah, Johnny, there are plenty of other girls around here." Tommy chimes in. "Kat isn't your only option."

    "Bullshit. That's all you guys are talking." Johnny defends and he glares at the two of them. "You guys don't know Kat like I do. You don't have any room to talk."

     Bobby laughs uneasily. "What do you mean?"

     "Well, I don't see you guys with any girls. Yeah?"

     And with that being said, Johnny places his helmet over his head before starting his bike and moving himself out of the parking lot.