xxvi. curious minds

xxvi. curious minds

   THE DRIVE back to the complex is quiet. Too quiet to Daniel and Kathleen's comfort.

Mr. Miyagi had not only gotten Daniel in a pickle, but Kat as well. What is she to do, now? Whose side is she supposed to be on? These are questions that wouldn't leave her mind for the months to come.

    During the entire drive back, Kat's wondered why exactly Mr. Miyagi was so eager for her to join him and Daniel on their adventure today. What any good did it do for her?

   Her mind flashes back to when they left the Cobra Kai dojo — Johnny's facial expression. The girl could tell he was a little hurt, but more confused than so. He had mouthed "what the hell?" behind Kreese's back, staring directly at the girl. Kat didn't respond.

   Her foot slowly presses on the break when reaching the doors of the handy shack. She had volunteered to drive them back, not wanting to have to fear for her life again with Daniel behind the wheel. The kid couldn't drive to save his dear life.

She puts the truck into park, then opens the door to hop out. Daniel slides across the seat so he could drive him and Mr. Miyagi to Miyagi's house. Kat shuts the door behind her and peeks her head in.

   "Come join after work, Kathleen-san?" Mr. Miyagi asks her with a hopeful look. Kat shrugs her shoulders, not really in the mood to after today's events and what was still to come.

    "I'll have to see, Mr. Miyagi," she replies. Daniel notices her fidget with her fingers, "if my dad doesn't kill me, then I'll be there."

  "Ah, Kathleen-san. You too funny." Mr. Miyagi chuckles. Kat tiredly laughs along with him.

"Alright, you guys take care." She says, then looks at Daniel directly in his baby browns. Her smile fades a little when noticing that he seems bothered. "Have fun."

She hits the hood of the truck once or twice as she walks off quickly towards the gate. Daniel lets out a large sigh and watches the girl disappear into the complex before driving off.

Kat leaves the gate door swinging behind her as she takes off running towards the apartment. She has a focused and determined expression on her face, and she's both of those things. Focused to get to the apartment, determined not to die.

Her mind comes up with so many scenarios of what could be happening in apartment 19 right now, in this exact moment. But we don't have the time to get into all of them.

She doesn't even seem to notice that the older lady, by the pool, has a friend with her today.  An older gentleman — perhaps a date? The two watch as the girl moves with such speed, then return to their game of cards.

Kat skips a few steps on her way up the stone stairway to the second level. She feels a bit scattered and frantic. When she makes it to her door, she's sure to straighten herself out before reaching and turning the knob.

Surprisingly it's unlocked, and Kat steps inside the apartment, seeing her father and brother searching around the living and dining room. She draws attention to herself when closing the door behind her.

Her father looks up from underneath the recliner after he hears the door shut. He sees his one and only daughter standing there by the door, appearing to be a little bit all over the place.

"Kat!" He exclaims, standing up from the floor. His eyes are huge and he seems to be worried. "Where the hell have you been?" Kat flinches a little.

"Just out," she simply says with a shrug. She fiddles with her hands and fingers behind her back, "I went for a walk. I had a bad dream and had to get it off my mind."