Prologue

I saw my mate for the first time, and my world changed. My father finally let me come out of the house and follow him around the grounds of our pack. My mother argued with him for half a day before he threw up his hands and consented. I never understood why Daddy had kept me locked away in the pack house and never let me attend social events with other 16-year-olds. But this day seemed like a great victory, a release from some invisible prison into the world.

Between the swarms of people and all the places where other werewolves trained, it took a long time for me to process everything I saw that day. So much life and energy, not to mention the demonstration of love between mates that I experienced. Of course, mom had told me about mates and what that meant, but I never expected to find it myself because of the way daddy kept me sequestered away.

My friend Ada dragged me to the training field, where we remained hidden in the trees and watched a large group of well-built guys wrestle with each other. Ada couldn't keep her mouth closed as she openly oogled the shirtless ones. I kept my gaze moving, not wanting to linger on anyone in particular. Sure, there was enough eye candy to go around.

"Focus!"

My gaze snapped to a new figure entering the scene. A young man circled two youngsters who were pulling each other's hair. He towered over them, his chiseled form dwarfing them in his shadow. His biceps pushed against the confines of his thin white shirt, a dark-colored swirling tattoo peeking out from under one sleeve. Dark brown hair glistened in the blazing afternoon sun.

My heart pounded a little harder in my chest. My wolf peeked her head out and growled a little. But this wasn't her danger or protective growl. I didn't push her back, rather curious what she was reacting to.

The trainer gave the boys some instructions and stepped back to see how they performed. When they toppled to the ground a minute later, he ran his hands through his hair and surveyed the rest of the group. Even though I was far away, I wondered if he could or would see me.

His gaze flashed in my direction for a millisecond, and my wolf howled. I gasped, my whole body freezing in the shock of what she was saying. I didn't want to believe it, but my wolf's howl confirmed it.

Mate.