Chapter 34

I leaned back against our headboard and pulled my knees closer to my chest. With my small lamp casting just enough light to read, I angled the journal toward the light and turned another page. Despite Adrian's insistence that further reading could wait until later, my wolf wouldn't let it go. She seemed to know something I didn't, so I didn't fight her.

The alpha power is more than just heightened senses, physical strength, and sharpened intuition, my mother had written. Your wolf inherits instincts and leadership skills that usually develop through years of experience. In a moment, you have the experience and expertise of all your ancestral alphas. Each alpha in the family line becomes stronger as they add to the knowledge and experience. This is just from my bloodline.

My mate's bloodline brings another element to the mix. My family brings intellect and integrity. Orion comes from a long line of physically powerful and conquering alphas. He knows how to win over a pack, whether they were leaderless or not. He inherited the physical strengths every alpha wants. I've seen his raw power in action, and it's overwhelming. Yet, at the same time, it's that power that keeps our pack strong and together.

I chewed on my bottom lip as I flipped the page. So far, there was nothing I hadn't known before. The alpha power intensified everything. What was the big fuss? Why was Zeke so bent on inheriting our family power if it wasn't much more than normal alpha rights and strengths?

"I knew it."

I jumped as Adrian rolled onto his back and stared up at me. He lazily blinked a few times before stretching to trace a finger down my arm.

"You knew what?" I echoed back.

He poked me in the side. "I knew that you wouldn't be able to wait once you had that journal in your hands. You want answers too much."

I winced as he spoke deep truth. "I just want to know what all of this means. You felt the surge of power during the fight, didn't you? Don't you want to know where it came from?"

"Of course," he groaned as he pushed himself upright to sit beside me. "However, you need to rest because you are not just an alpha anymore. You're a pregnant alpha who's going to overwhelm herself with too many thoughts." He snatched the journal out of my hand and held it out of reach.

I crossed my arms over my stomach and pouted. Alpha protective Adrian never backed down once he'd made up his mind, so there was no use fighting or arguing with him. If he wanted me to sleep, that's exactly what I would have to do if I ever wanted to read more of Mom's journal.

"I'll make you a deal," he bargained. "You lay down, and I'll read to you for a while. Deal?"

Better than nothing. I squirmed under the covers and beamed up at him. "Deal."

With a quick eye roll, he leaned down and pressed a kiss to my forehead. "Don't you think for one second that I'll believe you fall asleep quickly. You're not reading more until at least noon."

"Fine," I mumbled, turning onto my side and hugging the blanket to my chest. "Just read."

#

Adrian combed his fingers through Sierra's hair and smiled to himself, relieved that she was finally asleep. She'd been given the code to their mysterious alpha power, so naturally her wolf gave her extra energy to stay awake to figure it out. He had to lay down the law to make her surrender long enough to restore that energy. Once she woke up, he'd have his hands full keeping her in check.

He rolled onto his side, turning his back to his mate. After a quick glance over his shoulder, he flipped to another page in the journal. There was certainly a motherload of information written in these pages, seemingly a lifetime of thoughts written by a mother concerned for her heir.

The green-eyed alpha power is deeper than your wolf. This power is like a wolf's wolf, an inner force that floods every part of your being. Sometimes you access the extra strength or intuition on your own. Sometimes, the power just comes to you when you need it.

We haven't found a limit to our power yet. Orion thinks that there is no limit. Every time Orion fought someone to test his limits, he barely flinches and wins. There's this form of inner beast that raises its head when threatened or challenged. I can't help but think that it's self-protection. But protection from or against what? What would the strongest, most powerful alpha need protection from?

Yes, there are those who want such strength and wisdom for themselves. Who wouldn't? Even the strongest have fallen in their attempts to weaken our pack or topple our alpha. We're invincible to the point that we don't know if we are. There's no one who can challenge or threaten us to where we can't respond. I don't know where the power stops. I have control over my wolf and portion of the power, but Orion...

Adrian stared at the page, heart racing a bit. Had Alpha Orion lost control? Was the Luna scared of the alpha power? Was this unknown depth of a force dangerous?

"Traitor."

He flinched as Sierra poked him in the back. He slowly flipped to face her, cringing as her gaze sliced through him. "I get it. There's a lot to take in."

She rolled her eyes and snuggled into his chest. "No more until at least noon."

"Deal." He set the journal on the nightstand behind him and flicked off the light. Wrapping his arms around her shoulders, he rested his chin atop her head. A gentle amount heat oozed from her skin, sending warm sparks through his veins. Both of their wolves hummed at the connection.

"You feel it, right?" she whispered. "That deep tingling in your veins that touches every fiber of your being?"

"I feel something," he chuckled, "but I'm pretty sure it's just being close to you." What she said, however, made him pause and drink in the full extent of the feelings of his body. Their mate bond pulsed with something much stronger than their goddess-given connection. For the first time, he noticed something burning deep within his chest like an ignition spark waiting to be fueled.

"Yeah," he croaked. "I feel it."

-------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for keeping with the story! We're actually almost to the end, but I'm considering the possibility of a sequel. What do you think?

Don't forget to vote and comment!