Chapter 15

Sunlight poured through the window, spilling across the bed and filling the room with warmth. The curtains fluttered in the light breeze coming through the windows. Song birds belted out their happy morning tunes. It seemed like one of those days when a rainbow could burst out of nowhere at any time.

Adrian couldn't stop grinning. Last night had been the final step in securing his relationship with his little mate. She'd finally let go of her fears and trusted him to take care of her. When their bond solidified, her mind and heart opened like a flower in spring. He'd been able to read everything in her, and she didn't hold back. Every spark of love, every tear of loss, every fear for the future... she shared it all.

He stared at Sierra's profile illuminated by the morning light, lightly tracing his fingertips along the length of her spine. Even when she was sleeping she was gorgeous. Her dark eyelashes rested on her flawless skin, her wavy hair spilling on the pillow and across her shoulders. She breathed so lightly in her sleep that only the rise and fall of her back indicated life. Stretched out on her stomach beside him, she fulfilled every dream he'd ever had about waking up beside his mate.

She squirmed under his fingers, a tiny whimper of a moan vibrating in her throat. He grinned like a schoolboy as she stretched and mumbled something about needing more time. She really was adorable.

He tucked some hair behind her ear as she buried her face in her arms. For a moment, she simply breathed and adjusted to being awake. When her cheeks turned pink, he knew that she remembered everything as vividly as he did.

"Good morning, little alpha," he whispered.

"Morning."

His wolf rolled over and purred. That cheeky bastard had finally gotten what he wanted, and now he was a tame puppy waiting for a belly rub. There's no telling what he'd do in the future, besides obnoxiously insisting on wolf pups. That was easily tamed. The human part of him was in full control.

Sierra wiggled closer and snuggled against his side. She fit so perfectly in his arms. Mates were truly a beautiful thing, and his was sent straight from the moon goddess.

"How are you feeling this morning?" he crooned, dragging his fingers across her bare shoulders.

"You know how I'm feeling," she mumbled. "What time is it?"

He smiled and pulled Sierra on top of him. She laid her ear on his chest directly above his heart and sighed. The amount of skin-on-skin contact excited his wolf a little, but not enough to risk flying over the edge. They'd finally finished mating, and so there was no longer this desperate need to take her. His scent would be all over her, warning off any males who came near her. He and the cheeky bastard in his head were more than happy to hold her and stroke her silky-smooth skin.

"So, last night..." he purred, lightly dragging his fingers up and down her spine.

Her skin heated under his fingers as she squirmed and refused to meet his gaze. "What about last night?"

Gosh, she was adorable! Her innocence always brought a charming blush to her cheeks, and it never took much to bring it out. She had been upfront about her experience (or lack of) with other guys, which made her nervousness about completing the mating process make more sense. He was quite pleased with the fact that his mate was unattached and untouched...or rather had been those things.

"You have no idea how happy I am to wake up with you," he whispered. "Having you here, remembering what we did last night, being able to hear your thoughts and see your adorable dreams... It's truly the best feeling in the world."

For a moment, she traced little circles on his chest and purred. Her happy thoughts filtered through their mind link, pulling his lips up in a smile. When she finally lifted her head to rest her chin on his collarbone, he held his breath for that moment so he could stare into those gorgeous emeralds.