Chapter 16

I grinned as Adrian faced off against Jaxon. The two of them liked to test their physical strength against each other every so often just to make sure that they maintained top condition. Granted, Adrian's former role as Beta demanded so much that he kept in good shape just by living day to day. Now that he was stepping up into Alpha, he seemed extra tuned into maintaining dominance.

"Time to see what you've turned into, Adrian," Jaxon chuckled, pulling the hem of his shirt up to his chin to pull it off.

Adrian growled and grabbed his wrist to stop him. "No. Not around her."

I rolled my eyes as Jaxon lowered his shirt. "Honestly, Adrian... I think we're past the point of me being stolen away from you. Don't worry about me."

He growled at me as I swaggered up to him, not angry but more like cautioning. "Sierra..."

"I know, I know," I countered. "You're still not cool with me being around unmated males. Any slight temptation—such as a shirtless guy who takes care of himself—could send me running to someone else, right?"

He met my gaze and held it. "We're fully mated now, so it would be incredibly difficult and painful for you to walk away from me."

I slipped my hands under his shirt and placed my palms on his washboard abs. He quivered beneath my touch, but I decided to press my point rather than follow my wolf's instincts. "Then what's the problem, Adrian? If it would be painful for me to walk away, and I'm not interested in anyone else, why are you being so overprotective? Do you trust me at all?"

"Of course I do. It's him I don't trust." He leaned against my hands and rested his forehead on mine.

"Well, if you trust me, let me prove that I'll be okay around Jaxon." I tapped my fingers against his ribs, holding his attention.

"How? By letting you ogle his body until you're no longer affected? No way."

I rolled my eyes and drummed my fingers again. He really was going all Alpha Mate protector on me. As much as I loved the attention and consideration, he was bordering on obsessive. If we continued down this path, I'd end up locked in my room with only Ada for company.

"Hello?"

Speaking of Ada... I winked at my mate and pulled my hands away to turn towards the greeting. My best friend jogged around the corner in her form-fitting workout outfit. She'd pulled her hair up into a messy ponytail, a few stray tendrils dancing around her ears. Her cheeks were a dusty rose color, bringing out the sparkle in her eyes.

"Ada!" I danced over to her for a hug. "Thanks for coming."

She brushed some hair out of her face. "No problem, girl. I'm glad you called. What are we—" She froze, her gaze locked on something behind me.

I slowly turned to see what caught her attention. My heart jumped when I found Jaxon stone still, gazing at my best friend with a lovey dovey look in his eyes. Everything clicked into place, and I immediately knew what was happening.

"I... I didn't think..." Ada sputtered, taking a step towards the man she probably thought was the most beautiful person on the planet.

I backed away from my friend, letting her have this sunshine-and-rainbows moment. Even if I hadn't experienced the beauty currently happening, I wasn't about to mess it up for my best friend. She deserved this.

Adrian wrapped his arms around my shoulders as I backed against his chest. "What is happening right now?" he whispered against my ear. "What am I missing?"