Chapter 3

The next morning, as I wandered through the training fields towards the outdoors obstacle course, I watched the youngest trainees spar with each other like children wrestling. Just as I figured, Adrian paced the perimeter of the field. He observed the pairs with impressive focus, taking in where they were strong and noting where they needed direction. Even far across the field, his pine scent tickled my nose and woke my lazy wolf.

Mate.

I hated her whine but wasn't about to go to him. If he didn't want me, I wouldn't be the one to pathetically chase after him. No, it was up to him to come to me.

He stopped pacing and lifted his nose to sniff the air. I froze, not sure if I should make a run for it or let him see me. When he turned his head towards me, my heart raced and my hands trembled. I politely clasped my hands behind my back, waiting for some indication of his mood.

His gaze found mine, and something sparked in the back of my mind. I bowed my head slightly, acknowledging his beta position. Just as quickly, he turned away and marched towards the pair at the farthest corner of the field.

I drew a deep breath, calming the wounded whimper of my wolf. That was that, and I needed to face the facts. He wasn't ready, or he didn't want me. With a slow nod to myself, I ran the rest of the way to the obstacle course. A few life-threatening tricks over a mud pit would be a good distraction.

Mama would have known what I should do.

#

Four nights later, Adrian darted into his wing of the pack house and dressed in a pair of dark blue jeans and white t-shirt before venturing out to find Alpha Orion. There was no telling how this meeting would go, but he wanted to look sharp and presentable nonetheless.

He'd successfully avoided the alpha's daughter for five days. She wasn't in any of his classes, so their paths rarely crossed outside the pack house. That was where he struggled the most. As soon as he stepped inside, her sweet lavender scent overwhelmed him and drove his wolf crazy. She was so close, yet he refused to give in. He needed to figure out what to do before he went rushing after her. The pull of their mate bond wasn't helping his cause either.

What to do hadn't been clear. He weighed all possible options, but his wolf always insisted on winning their mate. No matter the consequences with the alpha, the cheeky bastard wanted the girl. During the few seconds he'd stared at her at that party, he'd quickly noticed how beautiful she was. What was on the outside wasn't a problem. He simply knew absolutely nothing about her, but he now hoped to change that.

Alpha Orion sat on high stool at the kitchen counter, calmly sipping on a glass of Merlot. An empty glass sat next to the opened wine bottle. Adrian slowly approached and cleared his throat to announce his presence. When he drew a deep breath to prepare himself for whatever was to come, he caught the slightest whiff of lavender...

Mate, his wolf whined yet again before retreating in the presence of an alpha.

Alpha Orion turned in his chair, always alert and observing. "Adrian. Care to join me for a glass?"

"Thank you." Adrian slid into the stool next to his leader and poured himself a glass of wine before opening the dangerous subject. 

"We've had another threat," Orion stated, beating him to the first word.

Don't mess this up, Adrian's wolf warned. Talk business first. It will put our alpha in a better mood to hear what we came to say.

"What kind of threat, sir?" Adrian took a quick sip of wine in preparation to listen.

Orion sucked a deep breath through his nose. "Another rogue on the border. This one said that his master would stop at nothing to see me brought down. He's dead now, of course."

"Of course," Adrian murmured in understanding. Rogues hardly ever lived past an interview, but ones that threatened the pack or alpha never did. "What do we do next?"

"Same as before. Record the incident along with the rest and keep extra patrol for the next few days. Whoever is behind this clearly wants me dead. I will not allow the bastard to hurt my pack or my family." Orion stared off at nothing in particular, seemingly processing his options.

Now is the time, Adrian's wolf piped up. He wants his family safe. Tell him you want to protect his daughter!

Adrian swallowed hard. "There is something I must speak to you about, alpha."

"You and my daughter are mates," Orion drawled, swirling his wine in the glass.

Adrian gawked, the air in his lungs catching in his throat. "You...know?"

Orion nodded slowly. "I'm surprised it's taken you so long to come to me. Sierra returned from a party five nights ago looking quite shaken."

Sierra, his wolf crooned. Lovely name.

"Naturally, I thought she'd been attacked or someone had said something to upset her," Orion continued. "However, she told me that she'd met her mate. She seemed very hesitant to tell me since it was you."

Adrian stared at the deep red liquid in his glass, drinking in every word and searching for some deeper meaning. "Was she afraid?"

"She was more afraid of my reaction, I think. Although, she did mention that you left her." Orion shot him a sideways glare that would have withered a weaker wolf.

"I was afraid of your reaction too, alpha. I know how much you protect her, and I didn't know what you would think of me for coming between you."

Orion leaned back in his chair and turned to face Adrian. "I may be a fierce pack leader and protective father, Adrian; but I am not a monster holding her hostage. She is old enough to make her own decisions, and I cannot stop a mate bond even if I wanted to. I will keep my eyes on you both while you figure this out, but I will not stop you."

Adrian sagged in his seat, relief pulsing through him like a new blood supply. "I would never hurt her, alpha. She's my mate, and I hold that bond as something truly sacred."

"I know you will take care of her as you take care of this pack, Adrian. Granted, you may have some difficulties earning her favor." Orion smirked around the rim of his wine glass and took another sip.

"I didn't think I would find my mate in our pack. I've spent years looking because I could sense that she was close. Yet, every time I thought I'd found her, it turned out to be a visitor from another pack who wasn't my mate. I thought I'd looked at every woman in the pack." Adrian cringed as he said the words out loud. "That came out wrong."

"I understood what you meant." Orion set his glass on the counter and crossed his arms across his chest. "What do you plan to do?"

Adrian took a sip of wine, carefully considering his options. Alpha Orion already said that he wouldn't stand in the way, so that left the door open for almost anything.

"I would like to see her and apologize for running out on her at the party."

Orion cocked an eyebrow. "Now?"

Adrian's wolf growled, not liking the idea of being prevented from seeing his mate. Adrian himself stiffened a little but remained composed. "Yes, sir. I think it's best."

Orion held his gaze for a long time, almost using alpha dominance to make him back down. For some reason, Adrian sat a bit taller with an extra sip of liquid courage. Finally, Orion broke eye contact and nodded.

"Very well, Adrian. She should be in her room. Do you need directions?"

Adrian jumped off the stool. "I can follow her scent. It shouldn't be difficult to find her." He offered a small bow before turning and sprinting up the stairs.

His wolf purred quietly. Try to get it right this time, Romeo.