Chapter 27

Adrian paced the length of his office for the tenth time, raking his fingers through his hair and barely keeping his wolf in check. Jaxon and Ada sat on the settee and silently watched him. The aftermath of the fight had taken longer than expected, the majority of the pack slowly coming out of hiding or stations to help clear away the rogues' bodies. Adrian had been far too distracted to help, so Jaxon sent him back to the pack house.

"What do we know?" Adrian mumbled yet again. Each patrol report brought hope of finding Sierra, yet none of them provided any helpful information. Whoever had taken Sierra found a way to hide their tracks and scent, effectively making them vanish into thin air.

"The rogues we fought came from the north," Jaxon supplied. "The one who drugged Sierra clearly knew what he was doing. You said your mind got really foggy right before you lost touch with her?"

Adrian nodded, hoping to shake away the thoughts creeping into his mind. Fogging a werewolf's mind, especially and alpha's, took a very specific drug. Whoever this creep was knew what he needed, where to get it, and how to administer it. This attack was a long time in coming, and he either knew where Sierra had gone or had tracked her.

"It's only been twelve hours," Ada chirped, her pathetic attempt to ease the tension in the room. "The drug will wear off sooner or later, and you'll be able to reach her again. I know Sierra, so I know she will fight to contact you with everything she has."

"Someone who knows what drug can take down an alpha will also know how to keep an alpha down," he snapped back at her, cringing as soon as her eyes glittered with tears. For someone as spunky as she normally was, finding her mate had turned her into an emotional crystal ball that could shatter at any moment.

"We'll find her," Jaxon crooned, tugging his mate close to his side. "Our best trackers are out there right now searching for anything that will help us."

Adrian's chest constricted as the betas half-cuddled to comfort each other. The sight made him miss Sierra even more and put him on edge. "Ada, can you give Jaxon and I a minute? Please?"

She stiffened for a minute, clearly not liking the idea of being sent away. Jaxon leaned closer and whispered in her ear, making her relax. She shot Adrian a hard glare before pushing off the settee and shuffling out of the room.

Jaxon faced his alpha. "What didn't you want her to hear? Is something wrong?"

"No," Adrian muttered. "I just... couldn't handle seeing you guys get all cute together when my mate is out there somewhere. I'm sorry to separate you guys, but I couldn't deal with it. Sorry."

"No, I'm sorry," Jaxon groaned. "I was so worried about how Ada was handling all this that I kinda forgot about you. You have my word that you have my attention until we find your mate. Ada will understand."

Adrian nodded slowly and sat on the edge of his desk. "I can't lose her, Jaxon. She's my whole world, and she leads this pack just as much as I do."

"So let's start at the beginning of what we know and go from there." Jaxon leaped to his feet and pointed to the huge map on the wall. "We know where Sierra was kidnapped from. We know how fast they'd be able to move with her unconscious body. We can use that information to figure out a general area where they might have gone."

"You're right." Adrian joined his friend at the map and scanned the overall area. Each pack's territory was lined with different colors. Even if the rogues had crossed into another territory, he'd know which alpha to contact for aid or permission.

"There." Jaxon pointed to a smaller patch of unclaimed territory right on the outskirts of their pack's land. "If I was part of a group that needed a place to lay low, that's where I would go."

Adrian stared at the spot for a minute. "That's No-Man's-Land. No one knows what's really there or who squats on it."

"Perfect for a band of rogues," Jaxon mused.

Both men jumped as Ada burst back into the room. "The trackers picked up on a scent! It's not Sierra's, but it's something."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know this was a shorter chapter, but I have a LONG chapter coming up next!

Thank you for the 100+ reads! That may seem like a small number to you, but it's exciting for me.